Catching Killer Nurses And Doctors In Nhs?

Just watching something on TV about a serial killer nurse in he US,  who lethally injected over 100 elderly patients.

Also after the Shipman murders, I’m wondering if the NHS do any data analysis looking for statistical anomalies relating to patient deaths, flagging suspicious anomalies for further investigation?

For example, if there’s a sudden unexplained spike in deaths of patients under the care of a specific medical practitioner, that should be investigated. Does that happen?

Edited by Waldo

5 hours ago, Waldo said:

Just watching something on TV about a serial killer nurse in he US,  who lethally injected over 100 elderly patients.

Also after the Shipman murders, I’m wondering if the NHS do any data analysis looking for statistical anomalies relating to patient deaths, flagging suspicious anomalies for further investigation?

For example, if there’s a sudden unexplained spike in deaths of patients under the care of a specific medical practitioner, that should be investigated. Does that happen?

Absolutely disgraceful post!
If the staff doesn’t get enough lack of respect and assaults from some sections of the public, now they have put up with a witch-hunt!

27 minutes ago, prince al said:

If the staff doesn’t get enough lack of respect and assaults from some sections of the public, now they have put up with a witch-hunt!

There's nothing disgraceful about it. It's a perfectly valid question. 

32 minutes ago, prince al said:

If such a scheme was in place while Shipman was active, surely it could have saved many lives? What's disgraceful about preventing such loss of life?

I think doing analysis on the data, doesn't reflect badly at all on the vast vast majority of NHS staff who do an absolutely amazing job.

At the same time, should we bury our heads in the sand and pretend this kind of thing could never happen again?

Edited by Waldo

Just to add, there's a lot we can do now with technology, AI, and finding patterns etc. This genuinely to me, seems like a sensible application.

I totally appreciate it's a bit unsavoury to contemplate; I'm not setting out to slur anyone or cause any offence. Apologies if I came across that way.

Also, this was the case in the US I mentioned: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_Lynn_Majors

Edited by Waldo

Yeah ,it's a bit disturbing to think those who we trust to care for people might have darker motivations but it's the abuse of that trust which is so disturbing.

Actually there is also the Chester Hospital case too ,nurse currently charged but it has not gone to court

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Learning from tragedy, keeping patients safe is the Government response to the Shipman Inquiry.

A good place to start.

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Short answer - yes it does. Sorry if that's a bit of an anticlimax.