Has The Time Come To Replace The Welfare State With Universal Basic Income?

44 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If you'd have BUI you'd have been able to afford to take the bus and later buy a car. 

It's been trialled in Finland and Spain are giving it some thought.

But then I wouldn't have the incentive or the motivation to work hard, take a second job, save my money, get out of Sheffield, start up a successful company, and live my retirement years, happy and healthy, on a beautiful tropical paradise island in the Caribbean.

30 minutes ago, trastrick said:

But then I wouldn't have the incentive or the motivation to work hard, take a second job, save my money, get out of Sheffield, start up a successful company, and live my retirement years, happy and healthy, on a beautiful tropical paradise island in the Caribbean.

You wouldn't have needed a second job with that fabulous imagination!

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Do tax credits take away the incentive to work?

I don't know every little tiny detail about UBI but the everyone would get the same amount each month. Disabled benefits ( PIP) may be still be separate so could Child Benefits the age for eligibility could be 18. Housing costs could be part of the payment for renting. More countries are looking at this idea like the Netherlands , Spain, Norway and Finland. Scotland have piloted the scheme in some of their cities, Northern Ireland are looking into the idea so is Wales as of yet no England  as no plans but still carrys on with its over complex system. Even Kenya is now thinking of giving its citizens an monthly payment to lift more out of poverty. As time matches on and more jobs are done by technology they will be a need for UBI. 

Just now, GabrielC said:

I don't know every little tiny detail about UBI but the everyone would get the same amount each month. Disabled benefits ( PIP) may be still be separate so could Child Benefits the age for eligibility could be 18. Housing costs could be part of the payment for renting. More countries are looking at this idea like the Netherlands , Spain, Norway and Finland. Scotland have piloted the scheme in some of their cities, Northern Ireland are looking into the idea so is Wales as of yet no England  as no plans but still carrys on with its over complex system. Even Kenya is now thinking of giving its citizens an monthly payment to lift more out of poverty. As time matches on and more jobs are done by technology they will be a need for UBI. 

Everyone? Even the rich? Even the lazy louts who chose to spend the money on booze and drugs?

A social safety net should take care of the needy

The rest must pay for it.

How about a means test?