Rail Services To Come Under State Control

Good timing, if all goes to plan with lockdown being lifted next month (and Mr Johnson says it still might do) I have out of Town Comic Cons to attend from July to October for which I'd need to book Train tickets.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

A new name -Grant Boris Railway

The 114 report mentions Sheffield once-historically.

There are no announcements of any kind that refer to rail services in South Yorkshire.

In fact nothing except  reminding of previous and current projects, re-organization and re-structuring and of course promised future announcements.

Electrification of the Midland main line will have its northern terminus at Market Harborough( pop. 24 000)-the longest and most expensive extension lead ever.

Close, it's Great British Railways. They will only operate in England.

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You do know there is nothing from stopping you leaving Sheffield right now, yes?

I know that I could take a quick trip up to Leeds on anything other than a Northern Train for nowt on my pass, but the last time I went up there, I tried to get to the White Rose Centre on the Bus and ended up in flippin' Pudsey, I didn't have an Uber account back then to get a cab.

5 hours ago, sibon said:

Not at all.

But if Labour had done these things there would be a queue of people all demanding to know how it was going to be paid for.

Yes and no. Don’t forget that because of the pandemic the train companies are worth nothing and their owners will be more than happy with the new arrangement. Given that the government is already shelling out a fortune to keep the railway ticking over I do not think the question applies.

ironic though that it is the Tories forced into a Uturn . We will never know what might have happened if instead of privatisation the extra money paid to the industry the money had been given to BR to invest.

4 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

Yes and no. Don’t forget that because of the pandemic the train companies are worth nothing and their owners will be more than happy with the new arrangement.

Many private companies are struggling and want government money. Is this a way of blaming COVID when there is no money to keep the trains running with low fares?

How much money should these private companies get?

38 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

Yes and no. Don’t forget that because of the pandemic the train companies are worth nothing and their owners will be more than happy with the new arrangement. Given that the government is already shelling out a fortune to keep the railway ticking over I do not think the question applies.

ironic though that it is the Tories forced into a Uturn . We will never know what might have happened if instead of privatisation the extra money paid to the industry the money had been given to BR to invest.

Certainly nothing positive that's for sure. I don't buy into the rose tinted view of what BR was back in the so-called "good old days".  

Privatisation may not be perfect but the incompetence and wastefulness of BR was something else.

16 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Certainly nothing positive that's for sure. I don't buy into the rose tinted view of what BR was back in the so-called "good old days".  

Privatisation may not be perfect but the incompetence and wastefulness of BR was something else.

You would be surprised there was some excellent management at BR true they could still make mistakes but the thing to remember is that many of the problems were as a result of  decisions/instructions from government and the turning off of the cash. Privatision was meant to save the government money and reduce the subsidy (or what ever you wish to call it) whereas the reality was it cost them many times as much

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

Many private companies are struggling and want government money. Is this a way of blaming COVID when there is no money to keep the trains running with low fares?

How much money should these private companies get?

They are going to get less as they will be paid a fee

Its quite funny seeing the outrage about this on social media:

The Left:   "Nationalise things again"

<Tories make announcement>

The Left: "This is terrible", "they'll mess it up", "you know who else made trains run on time - The Nazis"

Those are actual posts from Twitter