Gp Services

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Saw a piece in the financial papers that there are certain American asset strippers who are intent in buying up British GP practices for profit and if they don't make enough they are closing them down, a bit like care homes. What profit there can be in GP practices I don't know, presumably they are funded by the government. I know my local surgery has been advertising a chance to get a speedier appointment privately elsewhere for £30.

I've also been spending a lot of time in hospitals lately and privatisation is everywhere. 

So much for the NHS being safe in the hands of the Conservatives.

Quite a lot actually. That's why lots of GP's are desperate to run their little private businesses, set up LLP, become partners etc all to make sure they get their slice of these nice little earners.

Finally today, after 3 months,  got to see a GP I know, and more importantly knows me, diagnosis explained, appropriate treatment prescribed and referral to consultant made. I’ve felt fobbed off for weeks by reception staff and unknown GPS. Is this Matt Hancock’s future?

On 02/06/2021 at 10:17, Anna B said:

Saw a piece in the financial papers that there are certain American asset strippers who are intent in buying up British GP practices for profit and if they don't make enough they are closing them down, a bit like care homes. What profit there can be in GP practices I don't know, presumably they are funded by the government. I know my local surgery has been advertising a chance to get a speedier appointment privately elsewhere for £30.

I've also been spending a lot of time in hospitals lately and privatisation is everywhere. 

So much for the NHS being safe in the hands of the Conservatives.

Don't be fooled by the nonsense spouted by NHS managers. They literally waste BILLIONS every year (IIRC 7.8 billion average 2013-2018) then bleat how the government doesn't give them enough

On 05/06/2021 at 00:52, Resident said:

Don't be fooled by the nonsense spouted by NHS managers. They literally waste BILLIONS every year (IIRC 7.8 billion average 2013-2018) then bleat how the government doesn't give them enough

I agree money should be spent wisely, but the government doesn't give them enough.

If, for example, the NHS had been properly funded it would have built up the resources recommended by the WHO pre- pandemic and saved both a fortune and lives.

And, when you hear of a single life saving dose of stem cell therapy costs £1.8 million, you despair. That's not the only one. Pharmaceutical companies are exploiting their customers. 

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree money should be spent wisely, but the government doesn't give them enough.

If, for example, the NHS had been properly funded it would have built up the resources recommended by the WHO pre- pandemic and saved both a fortune and lives.

And, when you hear of a single life saving dose of stem cell therapy costs £1.8 million, you despair. That's not the only one. Pharmaceutical companies are exploiting their customers. 

7.8 billion is enough to pay for 300,000 MORE nurses on the AVERAGE salary of around 27,000 a year. 

On 02/06/2021 at 12:00, ECCOnoob said:

Quite a lot actually. That's why lots of GP's are desperate to run their little private businesses, set up LLP, become partners etc all to make sure they get their slice of these nice little earners.

But will they be able to compete against the American conglomerates? Or will GP's surgeries go the same way as British veterinary practices, the majority of which are now owned by just 6 multinational parent companies, with the result that prices for treatment are rocketing. 

On 25/05/2021 at 20:47, Janus said:

40 minutes is a long time to get through. I could not cope with that. Is there an option to change to a different surgery.  

The best advice I can give anyone is avoid phoning up on Mondays. 

Its absurd you cannot book online this day and age. You can at my practice - no reason why any practice cannot have such  feature.

On 08/06/2021 at 10:24, nightrider said:

Its absurd you cannot book online this day and age. You can at my practice - no reason why any practice cannot have such  feature.

Indeed, it should be possible, but so should alternative means of getting an appointment for people who are not confident/able to book online.

Why has getting to see a doctor suddenly become such a problem for so many?