How Far In Advance Can You Book Train Tickets?

Above.

I need to book return tickets from Sheffield to York and back on the 8th of August to attend York Unleashed Comic Con, I've looked on Trainline.com and it says it's too early to book for August yet? So basically, I have the event tickets which I booked ages ago, I now need 2 pairs of Train tickets, can I go to the Station in Town and book this week or do I have to wait till nearer the time?

I also have an event in Leeds on the 10th of October, I don't think I'll need to book a Train for that as I can get up there on my disabled pass on anything other than a Northern Train for free.

Can anyone help?

Edited by Mr Allen
More detail.

@Mr AllenAdvance tickets are usually released around 12 weeks before the date of travel BUT under the current conditions, the release date can sometimes be a little shorter, I would check every couple of days.

By the way, I would book direct with the operator - there is an extra fee when you book through Trainline.

Edited by RollingJ

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Mr AllenAdvance tickets are usually released around 12 weeks before the date of travel BUT under the current conditions, the release date can sometimes be a little shorter, I would check every couple of days.

By the way, I would book direct with the operator - there is an extra fee when you book through Trainline.

Ah so it'll be cheaper to go direct to the Station and book, nearer the time? Thanks man :D 

Just now, Mr Allen said:

Ah so it'll be cheaper to go direct to the Station and book, nearer the time? Thanks man :D 

Or, to save your legs (and time), once they are available - which you can check via the National Rail main site, book and pay online  direct with the operator- no extra charges apply.

Don't use  Trainline they charge fees.

Otherwise RollingJ has nailed it.

An interesting APP is Splitticketing.

More use on longer journeys.

I am off soon and the National Rail site always shows my fare at £71 ,Trainline is the same.

Split ticking has it as low as £19 on the same train but more generally £34- ish.

They take a small percentage of the amount saved.

I ought to have it nailed - been using the rail network for 99% of my long-distance travel for the past 15+ years, and have the advantage of an ex-BR manager as a very good friend - learnt one or two tricks not generally known to the public. 😃

Just now, butlers said:

Just had a random look and Trainline have seats at £44 rtn to York ,where on the same train it's £24 on Split ticking.

Very useful, @butlers - I might have a look on my next 'non-standard' journey. 👍

I once was on the Hope valley line and bloke in front at Hathersage wanted a single to Nottingham.

Guard gave him.a rtn and bloke was like " you gave me wrong ticket".

The rtn was cheaper than the single.

Had the same myself  was going to Cardiff to walk up to Conway on the north coast.

The return was cheaper than the single.

Almost feels like a conspiracy 🙄

Exactly - the system is bonkers, which is why if I'm making a trip I haven't done before I try and do a bit of research beforehand. Hopefully, the new integrated system they are supposed to be introducing soon will clobber this stupidity.