How Far In Advance Can You Book Train Tickets?

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Exactly - the system is bonkers, which is why if I'm making a trip I haven't done before I try and do a bit of research beforehand. Hopefully, the new integrated system they are supposed to be introducing soon will clobber this stupidity.

Yep, hence I'm looking at Train tickets now, in late May, for the second Sunday in August.

Another time was travelling from Grindleford to Edale about 6 of us.

Was a mix of kids ,adults and couple of oldies.

I had  a friend's n family card and it got so confusing the guard just waved me away..

It's like a minor lottery win when you hit on a particular train or pass and it comes up cheapo

1 minute ago, Mr Allen said:

Yep, hence I'm looking at Train tickets now, in late May, for the second Sunday in August.

Fair enough, but I suspect some will still be subject to the restrictions imposed at the start of the pandemic, plus the added complication of the pending ticket 'simplification'.

1 minute ago, Mr Allen said:

Thing is I did used to have a disabled rail card a few years ago, but I only used it about 3 times in a year so I didn't save enough money to warrant the price of the card.

That's a pity - my Senior 3-year card pays for itself in about six months.

Course I am missing a trick

If you can travel to Leeds for nothing ,then do LDS-YRK return.

That can be had from £6.80, granted it's slower

My commission is a pint for this tip😀

Edited by butlers

4 minutes ago, butlers said:

Course I am missing a trick

If you can travel to Leeds for nothing ,then do LDS-YRK return.

That can be had from £6.80, granted it's slower

My commission is a pint for this tip😀

Yeah go on then, gimme a shout by PM and I'll meet you in any Hillsborough pub this week.

Likely my best bargain was.

My folks rent out a cottage and 2 adults, 2 kids were coming up from Bristol for a weekend,they had been once before.

Anyhow  as I was taking the booking the fellow said it was about £160 for them to travel.

At the time one of the TOC ,an offshoot of Stagecoach I think, had limited seats only bookable online that did not even show up on National Rail 

Upshot being it was £24 for the 4 of them to travel.