Do Comparison Sites Use Favourable Reviews Only, In Order To Get Your Business?

I've just been looking at a website bookmygarage.com, and when I search for garage services near me; all the garages it returns in the search results have 5 star reviews (like 100's of them in some cases), there isn't a single 4.5 star review or lower.

Now, I hate to be accusatory, but I smell a rat!..

Is it a possibility that this site, and others that employ the same business model (presumably they make a profit on referral payments when you book via their website) are intentionally showing only 5 star reviews for services, and hiding any less than favourable reviews etc. Such that you're more likely to click through, order something, and they'll earn a commission.

Or am I being paranoid?

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

I've just been looking at a website bookmygarage.com, and when I search for garage services near me; all the garages it returns in the search results have 5 star reviews (like 100's of them in some cases), there isn't a single 4.5 star review or lower.

Now, I hate to be accusatory, but I smell a rat!..

Is it a possibility that this site, and others that employ the same business model (presumably they make a profit on referral payments when you book via their website) are intentionally showing only 5 star reviews for services, and hiding any less than favourable reviews etc. Such that you're more likely to click through, order something, and they'll earn a commission.

Or am I being paranoid?

Bit of both, paranoia on your part, and being savvy... The fact that most of the Garages on the site having 5 out of 5 is probably legit, but you're right to suspect it might not be.

Try a Garage yourself and then leave your own review to see if you give 5 out of 5.