Rowing Machine - Advice Welcomed

All advice read and appreciated.  I have nothing against gyms and 'pools, it's the hassle of getting there, getting changed, and getting back that puts me off.  Wifey has bought me a diet recipe book, but she won't eat any of the stuff.  I will plod on. 

Just read about a new "boil in athe bag" system whereby you encase yourself inside what looks like a hot water bottle and sweat for England.  You might lose weight but pong the house out....🥵

I wouldn't recommend a rowing machine if you have bad knees; you don't necessarily put much load on your knees but you're bending them and straightening them for every row. To row a kilometre I'd estimate 500 rows unless you put some welly into it.

On 07/06/2021 at 19:02, the_bloke said:

I wouldn't recommend a rowing machine if you have bad knees; you don't necessarily put much load on your knees but you're bending them and straightening them for every row. To row a kilometre I'd estimate 500 rows unless you put some welly into it.

Repeated low pressure and a wide range of movement is what keeps a joint in good nick.

A Doc gave me a excersie of "sit on a tall table and wag your legs just like a big kid."

500 strokes? How do you estimate that?

I love the display on the 'concept2'. I constantly count my pulls and calculate just short of 10 metres per pull. When you are 'giving it some welly' you do more pulls not less.  The display also shows stroke rate, for me its about 33 per minute - 4 mins to do 1k gives 132 strokes.

The machine runs for about 15-20 metres per pull if you let it spin till it stops. 50-100 strokes for 1k

On 09/06/2021 at 09:28, Flanker7 said:

Repeated low pressure and a wide range of movement is what keeps a joint in good nick.

A Doc gave me a excersie of "sit on a tall table and wag your legs just like a big kid."

500 strokes? How do you estimate that?

I love the display on the 'concept2'. I constantly count my pulls and calculate just short of 10 metres per pull. When you are 'giving it some welly' you do more pulls not less.  The display also shows stroke rate, for me its about 33 per minute - 4 mins to do 1k gives 132 strokes.

The machine runs for about 15-20 metres per pull if you let it spin till it stops. 50-100 strokes for 1k

I did say you'll do a small distance unless you put in more effort, and for a beginner on a rowing machine they aren't going to whack it up to full resistance on the first go are they? For a beginner doing a full km on a rowing machine is hard work and will be done on low resistance (which as you know, is less distance per row).

7 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I did say you'll do a small distance unless you put in more effort, and for a beginner on a rowing machine they aren't going to whack it up to full resistance on the first go are they? For a beginner doing a full km on a rowing machine is hard work and will be done on low resistance (which as you know, is less distance per row).

Read this..........

https://www.concept2.com/news/damper-and-drag-olympians