Ultra-Processed Food

20 hours ago, apelike said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57419041

I just wonder how many of those people are obese because of genetics alone as it seems odd that its not included in the data especially as obesity has been on the increase for decades.

Apparently the woman in the article, Sarah, now wants the government to make comments about body shape and size illegal. 

I'm not sure what the article is trying to prove to be honest. Her genetics don't mean that she is going to be obese, her genetics have receptors and genes that increase the risk of obesity. That's why she put weight on easily and that's why she can lose it again. Her genetics aren't hard wired for her to be obese, else she'd never lose weight.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Me bolded.

No that's wrong as Pizza Hut do not add any fat to their product's even in their pizza dough. What it does contain is some vegetable oil and the normal amount of sugar to allow the yeast to do its work. Their sauces also do not contain fat and use vegetable oil but they do have some sugar. 

Too much misinformation and a quick google would confirm that.

In fact I don't see many restaurants or chippies for that matter that don't use vegetable oil. I myself though not being a vegetarian prefer lard!

Fats and oils only differ in their physical properties and not so much in their chemical properties eg health.

Historically  "Fat Manufacturers" used animals and "Oil  Manufacturers" used animals and plants.

Many vegetable oils are solid and are as beneficial/harmful as their animal equivalent.

I can assure you that the chemistry of foodstuffs used in large scale food manufacturer is not the same as what comes out of a field, barn, ocean etc. or available on supermarket shelves.

17 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Fats and oils only differ in their physical properties and not so much in their chemical properties eg health.

Historically  "Fat Manufacturers" used animals and "Oil  Manufacturers" used animals and plants.

Many vegetable oils are solid and are as beneficial/harmful as their animal equivalent.

I can assure you that the chemistry of foodstuffs used in large scale food manufacturer is not the same as what comes out of a field, barn, ocean etc. or available on supermarket shelves.

Who on earth do you think supplies the Supermarkets.  I really don't belive there is such a vast difference as you make out.  

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Not exactly sure what you mean there. I know that hydrogenated fats and oils have different chemical properties but that has nothing to do with causing obesity. 

Its hydrogenation which makes them solid and that change is known to have an effect on the heart because it can cause cholesterol problems.

I never really thought it was, it's just as to what degree it is different and what that difference actually means when it comes to health. As stated earlier the percentage difference may seem large but in reality it is actually very small.

The image of enlightened and woke Westerners, drinking their Chardonnay, at the latest chic restaurant in town, Indian or Italian, and opining what people should and should not eat, always brings a smile. It smacks of privilege and elitism.

Truth is, people all over the world, do not always have, or even need the same food preferences.

Try to tell an Innuit (Eskimo) to eat less fat, and more salads.  Lol

Where I live we mostly subsist on rice and beans, and plentiful available fruit.

Some 5 varieties of mango, with 3 crops a year,  grow wild, and they are literally free  for the picking. Bananas are almost free,  as are coconuts. Same with the myriad varieties of beans.

I used to look forward to going back to Toronto, for my rare binge on a bucket of KFC, but these days,I find it dry and tasteless, since they've been shamed into reducing portion size, and reducing the fat and salt content. Not to mention the vague feeling of embarrassment while trying to hide the odorous contraband in the elevator up to my apartment.

See:  "KFC temporarily drops ‘finger lickin' good’ slogan in first global campaign" - Marketing Week.

Now that's a rare bit of "truth in advertising"!  Lol

But I'm sure old Colonel Sanders, who lived to be a ripe old age of 90 happy years eating the stuff, is less than impressed.

I only hope Cleethorpes fish and chips, does not meet the same fate. Frozen fish and chips and fried in some EU approved chemical oil.

Edited by trastrick