Mask Required?

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, redruby said:

I got on a bus one day last week and already it seems like some people aren’t bothering to cover their faces.  One of these people also kept sniffing and snorting loudly. I know that might mean they had hay fever or a bit of a cold or just were disgusting with bad manners but it doesn’t inspire confidence about using public transport. I’m no big fan of wearing a mask but can see no logic in leaving it up to passengers to decide whether they cover their face. Covid cases are going up a lot now and of course vaccines will help massively but they are not 100% effective and not everyone is fully vaccinated yet. 50k + cases a day will not be without consequences. 

Ive been getting the train to Birmingham - overwhelming majority wear masks - I’m interested to see what happens next week.

my first thought was that anyone wearing one now would continue to - and that it would only be those pretending they’re exempt that didn’t.

be interesting to see how many are doing out of legal compulsion or because they think It protects them or others.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Ive been getting the train to Birmingham - overwhelming majority wear masks - I’m interested to see what happens next week.

my first thought was that anyone wearing one now would continue to - and that it would only be those pretending they’re exempt that didn’t.

be interesting to see how many are doing out of legal compulsion or because they think It protects them or others.

Me bolded.

The big problem with that attitude is there is no way of knowing who is exempt or not as it has not been compulsory to carry any ID to say so. It seems yet again that some judge others who may be actually be disabled and see them as pretending to be exempt when it may not be the case as not all disabilities are apparent. It's quite a common attitude of "you don't look disabled" so are not. The exemptions are not only for those with disabilities either.

When it comes to transport the carriers themselves can set the rules on the future wearing of face masks.

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

Me bolded.

The big problem with that attitude is there is no way of knowing who is exempt or not as it has not been compulsory to carry any ID to say so. It seems yet again that some judge others who may be actually be disabled and see them as pretending to be exempt when it may not be the case as not all disabilities are apparent. It's quite a common attitude of "you don't look disabled" so are not. The exemptions are not only for those with disabilities either.

When it comes to transport the carriers themselves can set the rules on the future wearing of face masks.

Real exempt people wear badges and lanyards. Although you can buy these online apparently.

We ask people to wear a mask (you'd be surprised how many don't have one when they try entering)

If they say they are exempt we allow them entry.

That's my experience of working on a visitor attraction door.

We DONT pick on disabled people, or treat them any different, not do we look for disability, we treat everybody the same.

Edited by melthebell

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Real exempt people wear badges and lanyards.

Not true. Some 'real exempt' people wear badges/lanyards, some do not. There is no requirement for any exempt person to wear ID or obligation to carry proof- it is optional.

Edited by onewheeldave

26 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Not true. Some 'real exempt' people wear badges/lanyards, some do not. There is no requirement for any exempt person to wear ID or obligation to carry proof- it is optional.

So the compulsory isn't that compulsory then is it.

24 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Sorry, 'most'

It's what happens trying to reply to things quickly while at work.

To us on the frontline, obviously if somebody doesn't wear one we cant diffrentiate.

8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It is compulsory in that people entering with no mask who are not mask exempt are liable to a fine [of I believe £200?].

Obviously that would require a police officer to establish that the person was faking their exemption [Transport for London officers also have the power to do this].

I've personally seen videos of people being manhandled off the tube by police/transport police for refusing to wear masks when the police believe them to not really be exempt.

Edited by onewheeldave

22 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yes it is. It's just that its compulsory for all unless you are exempt for any reason. A bit like wearing crash helmets, compulsory for all but exempt for Sikhs who are wearing turbans.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Yes it is. It's just that its compulsory for all unless you are exempt for any reason. A bit like wearing crash helmets, compulsory for all but exempt for Sikhs who are wearing turbans.

You and I know that a significant number of nonmask wearers aren't wearing them because they don't want to rather than any medical exemption.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Strangely I don't think I've ever seen a Sikh on a motorbike Oo