Mask Required?

Just now, sibon said:

I didn’t say they’d been thrown out for not wearing masks. Most kids I encounter wear them without fuss.

I was just pointing out that shops don’t have to let people in and they don’t have to serve them if they don’t want. Subject to discrimination legislation, obviously.

Indeed and asking someone to prove a disability is also discrimination.

Guest sibon
3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed and asking someone to prove a disability is also discrimination.

I didn’t say it wasn’t. 

I’m not certain that you are right though. I’m pretty sure that shop workers have a right to a safe working environment and that might include asking people to put face coverings on if they can. It all depends how it’s done.

It certainly doesn’t depend upon the rate of pay of the shop worker.

4 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

If you decline service to somebody because they are not wearing a mask are you contravening discrimination legislation?

Will depend how the conversation goes I assume.

Shopkeeper - "please put a mask on"

Customer  - "No, I am exempt under the legislation due to my disability"

Shopkeeper - "Can you prove you are disabled please"

Now that certainly wouldnt be acceptable.  The conversation should end after what the customer says.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

And if the conversation went: "You're not wearing a mask, please leave" ?

Customer then says - "i dont have to wear a mask, I am exempt under the legislation due to my disability"

Shopkeeper then is in danger of actually kicking a disabled person out of his shop for being disabled.

Edited by HeHasRisen

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Customer then says - "i dont have to wear a mask, I am exempt under the legislation due to my disability"

Shopkeeper then is in danger of actually kicking a disabled person out of his shop for being disabled.

And when the shopkeeper indicates that he is not excluding the individual on the basis of the legislation but on his own initiative (rather than because the law mandates it). That is to say that the exemption does not apply because the covid law itself is not being applied. And then the individual is being excluded not because he is disabled but because he is not wearing a mask.

I do not know the answer ... I am asking. Some shopkeepers seem to be facing lots of non- mask wearers who use the excuse of a disability they do not have. I am wondering whether excluding a bunch of idiots is sufficient excuse to risk excluding the occasional disabled individual. Do you know the law on this?

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

But the reason cited by the customer is is that he is disabled. The shopkeeper cant override disability discrimination legislation ffs.

Only if the customer has a genuine disability - not if they're using it as an excuse for not wearing a mask.