Mask Required?

16 minutes ago, butlers said:

I think the number couple if days back, July 13 , was 40 at the Hallamshire ,6 on ventilators.

Has that changed

31 patients with Covid in the Hallamshire this morning. 9 in the NGH.

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

How does that compare with this time last year?

I wouldn’t like to say in all honesty, sorry. I only started actually looking at the figures a few months ago.

The cases have risen over the last few weeks, but there’s still not many in ICU/HDU etc, and as I’ve said before the majority are patients in hospital that also happen to have Covid, they’re not in hospital because of Covid. 

6 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

I wouldn’t like to say in all honesty, sorry. I only started actually looking at the figures a few months ago.

The cases have risen over the last few weeks, but there’s still not many in ICU/HDU etc, and as I’ve said before the majority are patients in hospital that also happen to have Covid, they’re not in hospital because of Covid. 

Thanks anyway.

3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

So no problem then, if such a majority will continue to mask when it isn't compulsory.

Nothing to do with being crippled by only having a fraction of previous custom able to acess the business then? Nothing to do with huge swathes of staff off sick despite not being infected but unable to work due to being in a particular 'bubble' where someone tested positive [using tests which give large numbers of false positives]?

It’s everything to do with the confused messages being dished out by this government.

There are a few lessons that should have been learned by both our leaders and the public .

Social distancing,wearing effective masks and general hygiene do have a mitigating effect on the spread of the virus.

There are some on here that would deny this .

Greater benefit seems to have been gained from the vaccination programme which may not have stopped the spread,but hopefully has reduced the severity of the symptoms and worst outcomes.

Once again ,some seem to be anti vaccine for their own,and to my mind misguided reasons.

So my argument is  to maintain all proven safeguards for the foreseeable future to enable people to go about their work and leisure in the safest way.

Johnson could have stuck to considerably more freedoms this month without ditching the proven effective measures.

We had get Brexit done,and now we have get Covid done.

2 hours ago, butlers said:

I think the number couple if days back, July 13 , was 40 at the Hallamshire ,6 on ventilators.

Has that changed

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Couple of days @butlers ?- more like 4 weeks.

4 weeks ago (or thereabouts) there were only 3 admissions who had Covid...

2 hours ago, nikki-red said:

It's also reassuring to know that those who have been vaccinated aren't as severely affected (from what I've seen and heard)

3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

More scaremongering. No one has ever denied that some young people with no diagnosed underlying conditions won't suffer from covid.

But it is rare- even the article this comes from states '“All of us who went out for the meal got it. We were all aged 25-28 with no underlying conditions, but I seemed to get it really badly, the doctors said I had every symptom."

i.e. everyone else in the group got covid and didn't end up in hospital.

Then consider that there is zero evidence this person didn't actually have  undiagnosed underlying conditions- when he says '“I would consider myself to be fairly fit,' and the article says 'James, who has no underlying health conditions and runs, plays football and goes to the gym....' we see the common error of confusing fitness with health. 

It is not uncommon to be extremely fit and not in good health, hence the  incidence of 'really fit' individuals dropping dead of a heart attack while running/lifting/playing football/squash.

I'm tired of seeing references to this tiny minority of 'young with no underlying health conditions' being brought up, with no evidence of, or even mention of, the possibility of them having had undiagnosed underlying conditions.

I think there are several posters on here who will deny anything that doesn't fit their theories.  Like those claiming that 99.4% of the population only get mild symptoms and everyone who is severely affected is old/has underlying health conditions (this may be split between this thread and the Covid megathread,  it's all getting a bit repetitive).

If you're young and fit, how much do you want to gamble that you don't have undiagnosed underlying health conditions that may suddenly materialise when you catch a virus that could be avoided?

22 minutes ago, Becky B said:

I think there are several posters on here who will deny anything that doesn't fit their theories.  Like those claiming that 99.4% of the population only get mild symptoms and everyone who is severely affected is old/has underlying health conditions (this may be split between this thread and the Covid megathread,  it's all getting a bit repetitive).

If you're young and fit, how much do you want to gamble that you don't have undiagnosed underlying health conditions that may suddenly materialise when you catch a virus that could be avoided?

Thank you.

There is also the presumption that anyone with an underlying / pre-existing condition is at deaths door (having had colleagues with diabetes for many years I know this simply isn't true).

Edited by Longcol