Mask Required?

24 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You and I know that a significant number of nonmask wearers aren't wearing them because they don't want to rather than any medical exemption.

No you and I don't know there is a significant number as there is no way of knowing unless non mask wearers are challenged to somehow prove their exempt or have already told people they just won't wear one. It's a bit like saying masks significantly reduce the spread of coronavirus as someone once said of SF when there is actually no data to back that up. It is plain that many of the anti vax and anti mask brigade don't wear them and that can clearly be seen in the media clips of demos but they are a minority of the general population. But all in all when I use public transport or go into shops there are very few, and sometimes none, who are not wearing masks.  

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Strangely I don't think I've ever seen a Sikh on a motorbike Oo

That is not the point as it's a matter of law and the same goes for wearing masks. Its either compulsory or not (given exemptions) and in two days from the 19th it will no longer be compulsory for the general public to wear one. 

Edited by apelike

17 minutes ago, melthebell said:

That's not the point means you just made it up. It's like the Christmas is banned stories, made up to get a point across :rolleyes:

Cough... Try checking on the law first before you make spurious accusations. :rolleyes:

The motorcycle Crash-Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act, 1976. 

In November 1976, Her Majesty the Queen gave her Royal Assent to a Bill to exempt turbaned Sikhs from having to wear crash-helmets when riding a motor-cycle: The motorcycle Crash-Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act, 1976.

Sikhs are also exempt from rules requiring them to wear head protection in the construction industry as well.

Edited by apelike

Just now, apelike said:

Cough... Try checking on the law first before you make spurious accusations. :rolleyes:

The motorcycle Crash-Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act, 1976. 

In November 1976, Her Majesty the Queen gave her Royal Assent to a Bill to exempt turbaned Sikhs from having to wear crash-helmets when riding a motor-cycle: The motorcycle Crash-Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act, 1976.

Sikhs are also exempt from rules requiring them from wearing head protection in the construction industry as well.

Well it's not an area I'm well versed in TBH, like I said I've never seen a turban topped bike rider ever. Seems you're more interested in them more

32 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Really? 

I think you'll find some exempt don't like to wear them. So are they not really exempt in your book? 

I've already amended a reply on that subject, I added most, bit hard doing in depth replies while at work on a phone. My bad

Just now, melthebell said:

Well it's not an area I'm well versed in TBH, like I said I've never seen a turban topped bike rider ever. Seems you're more interested in them more

No,  just concerned that people know and understand a law that to them didn't exist and get the law right, after all ignorance of the law is no defence in a court.

57 minutes ago, melthebell said:

've already amended a reply on that subject, I added most, bit hard doing in depth replies while at work on a phone. My bad

No worries 🙏

From personal experience though I believe most people who are exempt and don't wear a mask also do not wear a lanyard. 

In the last week or so I've seen plenty of maskless people, not seen many lanyards though. Even supermarket staff who I see regularly don't have lanyards apart from the odd 1 every now and then. 

18 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I deny to benefit of masks. They do nothing other than force the wearer to breathe their own bacteria. 

I deny the need for a rushed jab which is still in the trial stage and has no long term data. 

I deny the need to jab anyone (even if it works) unless they are old, frail etc. 

I deny the need to jab kids full stop. 

If you want to wear a mask go for it. 

Ditto with the jab. 

Just don't try and force, coerce or try and shame other people into doing something YOU want them to do because YOU are scared of everything, including fresh air. 

How very presumptuous of you.  I'm actually scared of spiders, needles (or rather, injections), falling from heights and, to a lesser extent, deep water.  Fresh air doesn't feature.  I'm not scared of Covid either.

I'm not trying to force, coerce or shame anyone into doing anything, just giving my opinions.  If you feel that way it's your own insecurity.

I'd quite like social distancing to continue ad infinitum, really, as I don't like people much and it'd keep numpties with no concept of personal space away from me 😂

18 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

As bizarre as somone walking up to a shop, taking a dirty contaminated mask out of their pocket, wearing it whilst in the shop then immediately removing it once outside only to stick it in the same pocket as they took it from? 

I agree with you on this one.  The NHS even made posters and a video of how to use a mask correctly (i.e. to maximise effectiveness)...

18 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

What is the true figure [roughly, with evidence]?

I don't know, I'll have a look if I get chance.  I have a skewed view from being at the sharp end and seeing a percentage of the percentage that are severely affected, sorry.

18 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

For many, they just want the choice- the right to make their own decision about what risk they are willing to take.

And they have that choice.

8 minutes ago, Becky B said:

How very presumptuous of you.  I'm actually scared of spiders, needles (or rather, injections), falling from heights and, to a lesser extent, deep water.  Fresh air doesn't feature.  I'm not scared of Covid either.

I'm not trying to force, coerce or shame anyone into doing anything, just giving my opinions.  If you feel that way it's your own insecurity.

My comment about coercion was directed at the ones doing the coercing and shaming. 

If that's not you then the comment wasn't directed at you 👍

10 minutes ago, Becky B said:

I'd quite like social distancing to continue ad infinitum, really, as I don't like people much and it'd keep numpties with no concept of personal space away from me 😂

I agree with you on this one.  The NHS even made posters and a video of how to use a mask correctly (i.e. to maximise effectiveness)...

My bold. I often try to educate people about the dangers of wearing the same mask all day without changing it. Amazingly very few people even know it should be regularly changed. 

One lad at a shop in Sheffield said he's wore the same mask 5 days in a row. 

Never washed it, never changed it. 

He was extremely greatful for the info I gave him. 

Guest makapaka
5 hours ago, apelike said:

Me bolded.

The big problem with that attitude is there is no way of knowing who is exempt or not as it has not been compulsory to carry any ID to say so. It seems yet again that some judge others who may be actually be disabled and see them as pretending to be exempt when it may not be the case as not all disabilities are apparent. It's quite a common attitude of "you don't look disabled" so are not. The exemptions are not only for those with disabilities either.

When it comes to transport the carriers themselves can set the rules on the future wearing of face masks.

Aside from people who it could causes severe mental distress, or perhaps the deaf travelling with others who need to communicate through lip reading - what medical condition means you’re healthy enough to go the pub, get a train, go the shops etc - but not wear a paper mask.

understand some exemptions - vast majority just don’t wanna wear em so pretend.

young lads stood smoking outside boozer with a sunflower lanyard round their neck - gimme a break.

Edited by makapaka