Building Shed/Outbuilding

Hello, I live in Chapeltown and would like to build shed/office/outbuilding. I have read all about the limitations of building this, but one area seems very grey. It will only be about 8m2/10m2 under 2.5meters tall. The one thing I can't find in black and white is how close I can build this next to the boundary fence. My garden is long and narrow, I want to make sure I'm allowed to build next to his fence. Please advise and thanks in advance. 

1. if his (or his successors) fence falls down (presuming it's his fence), he may not bother fitting another so your wall is the new boundary  line                                             

2. You would need permission to go on his land for maintenance to your building.

3. If the fence does fall down, you can still erect another from your side (with 2ft gap).

4. there's room for storing a ladder etc. out of sight.

5. Could get into party-wall agreements with building up to boundary line

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/building-a-detatched-garage-close-to-boundary.228875/

Edited by carosio

Guest sibon
3 hours ago, West 77 said:

If it's on your own land then you can build the shed/office/outbuilding as close to the boundary fence as you want. Just get on with doing the job and don't discuss anything with your neighbour who owns the boundary fence.

I’d check this advice out with a solicitor.

Or at least an adult.

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm guessing the original poster would prefer not to consult a solicitor over a minor project that doesn't require planning permission.  I have real life experience on such matters.  Another tip is to try and erect or build  the  shed/office/outbuilding when the next door neighbour is not at home.

I’d still recommend that he consults with an adult.

35 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Most likely because he's clueless about giving sensible practical advice about anything.

"Another tip is to try and erect or build  the  shed/office/outbuilding when the next door neighbour is not at home."...says West 77, sensibly.

Edited by Bargepole23

On 25/06/2021 at 17:47, MarkAH said:

Hello, I live in Chapeltown and would like to build shed/office/outbuilding. I have read all about the limitations of building this, but one area seems very grey. It will only be about 8m2/10m2 under 2.5meters tall. The one thing I can't find in black and white is how close I can build this next to the boundary fence. My garden is long and narrow, I want to make sure I'm allowed to build next to his fence. Please advise and thanks in advance. 

I have just found this link.  It might be helpful,  if I have done it correctly.  It’s hit and miss with me when it comes to inserting a link.

https://www.waltons.co.uk/_imagesWT/blog/waltons-guide-to-planning-permission-for-sheds.pdf