Bus Routes And Numbers In Sheffield?

I'm due to visit soon and I've not kept up with any changes since leaving Sheff a long while back. I understand there have been confusing changes over the years?

From Meadowhead  I used to get either the 25, 53 or 75 which all used to be frequent enough in the daytime, and went towards London Rd and town?

Also, the ticket names and prices are of course, totally different.

What Buses run by that way now, and can I just buy return tickets?

Guest busdriver1

No return tickets available but day tickets are available and despite what many say are very well priced.

If you can use one operator then get that operators day ticket, if not get a citybus ticket that works on all operators and is £4.70

Edited by busdriver1

In brief, the 25 is still running, as is the 24 (essentially the same service), and the 75 still runs, both going to town. The 53 which went virtually directly to the Interchange (formerly Pond Street) sadly is history. The Stagecoach X17 limited stop service (usually around every half hour) may also be of interest, as it has a stop at the bottom of the Moor, before going on Arundel Gate to the Interchange.  It may be worth looking up it's timetable and stops.

24/25 run the same way from Meadowhead into town, 75 still runs as it did but now goes to Shiregreen instead of Ecclesfield.

43/44 run to Pond Street like the 53 used to, as does the limited stop X17.

Operator specific tickets still exist, but most tend to buy CityBus (any operator for bus only) or CityWide (same as CityBus but included trams too).

Full details can be obtained on operator websites or SYPTE website.

You can download a PDF network map showing all the bus and tram routes in Sheffield at https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/journeyplanning/public-transport-maps (or here is the direct download link)

From Meadowhead to town you have the 24/25 via Heeley & Queens Road, the 75 via Abbeydale Road, the 43/44 via Heeley & London Road and finally the X17 limited stop service. A very frequent service is provided between them.

A Citybus all day ticket, which is accepted on all buses in Sheffield regardless of the company operating it costs £4.70, or if you want to use the trams as well then the Citywide ticket also includes trams for £5.10. See https://www.sytravelmaster.com/sheffield for more details.

Tickets are available from the bus drivers, pay by cash or contactless, alternatively day tickets can be purchased and used on both the Stagecoach and First bus apps. The apps also offer live tracking.

There may be some cheaper ticketing offers if you commit to one company, see the Stagecoach (buses 25,43,44 and X17) and First (buses 24 and 75) websites. A single ticket from Meadowhead to the City Centre costs £2.50.

Edited by Andy C