People Over 60 Could Be Charged For Prescriptions Under New Government Plans

18 hours ago, West 77 said:

You've really lost the plot. In Victoria times when there were workhouses people were expected to die in their early to mid 40's.  It's precisely because work conditions have improved as well as well as modern  scientific knowledge people are living longer resulting in more years spent in retirement for most people that the government of the day need to make changes in order to finance future state pensions and NHS supplied medicines. Nobody has suggested stopping welfare benefits meaning those over 60 who can't afford to pay for prescriptions will not be forced to pay for them. 

No plot, just want a more equal and fair society!

17 hours ago, apelike said:

If you mean the automatic free TV licence for the over 75s then I thought that had already been been replace by a means tested arrangement.:huh:

So just funding old poor peoples entertainment, a step forward.

Do you think entertainment should be prioritised over other things?

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

So just funding old poor peoples entertainment, a step forward.

Do you think entertainment should be prioritised over other things?

It depends on what you mean by old poor people's entertainment and also what other things you are talking about that it should be prioritised over. That why I originally asked in post #62 if you meant the free TV licence for the over 75s. I myself don't have a TV licence so I can't really comment on that aspect only to say the people over 75 dont have much else in the way of entertainment to look forward to other than the TV, so it could also help with their wellbeing by watching it.

Having said that I do find it disgusting that a public funded organisation pays one of its presenters over £26,000 per week and many others nearly have a million anually.

Edited by apelike

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

You should know exactley what I mean, thats ok, if you dont want to answer.

I have tried to answer that in post #97 and as I am not a mind reader can only guess what you meant.

But... as you are now being a bit evasive I will ask you these direct questions...

What do you mean by "old poor people's entertainment"?

And... What other things you are talking about that it should be prioritised over?

Without knowing the answer to those first then this is a pointless discussion to carry on!

Edited by apelike

40 minutes ago, apelike said:

What do you mean by "old poor people's entertainment"?

We were discussing the TV licence and old people; old people watch the TV for free and they are entertained.

Is that a clear explanation?

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

We were discussing the TV licence and old people; old people watch the TV for free and they are entertained.

Is that a clear explanation?

Not really as not all old people are entitled to a free TV licence and the rules on getting one for free have changed as well. You have not explained why you included the poor bit either as you actually said "old poor people's entertainment" and not just old people's entertainment. You also didn't answer this bit I asked, "What other things you are talking about that it should be prioritised over?" 

33 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Whilst the thread goes off on a tangent, I've not actually seen anyone argue against increasing the age you get a free prescription with any actual logic.

what about when I said that people often have to retire early with health issues before state retirement age, and struggle financially until the state pension kicks in?  Saying they have to pay for the medicines they need until then would be very difficult

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

what about when I said that people often have to retire early with health issues before state retirement age, and struggle financially until the state pension kicks in?  Saying they have to pay for the medicines they need until then would be very difficult

Surely if they can't work due to a health condition they would be in receipt of benefits and get free prescriptions anyway?