'Chalky' White, Jordanthorpe Teacher

An extremely inspirational English teacher at Jordanthorpe school during the 1960's, and perhaps beyond.

Gone now, I'm assuming, but whilst he was a favourite with many of his pupils, I know nothing about him - not even his real Christian name!

Can anyone provide any details? 

I was at Jordanthorpe School from 1955 to 1959 and I remember Chalky White taking us for Tech Drawing but I cant remember anything else about that particular teacher.Mr Adams was the head teacher always dressed in his gown and mortar board,Freddie Rooks was deputy head,and the best teacher in the school was the metal work teacher MrCatell(not sure of the spelling).I was top of the class in metal work for four years and absolutely rubbish at everything else.By 1959 I had built my first car which Mr.Adams allowed us to drive round the school field.Happy days.

Brian

I heard that Mr.Adams has died comparatively recently - that is, in the last "few" years - having lived somewhere in/near Dronfield for many years. If true, he must've been a fine old age.

The reason for the original question was that I'd recently been told that Mr.White had been in the secret service during the war, and when teaching at school he used to carry an attache case with an embossed gold crown.

An interesting character - it'd be nice to find out a little more about him.