A Question About The Sheffield City Centre Branch Of House Of Fraser

I know it was originally a store called Walsh's, which House Of Fraser took over, then House Of Fraser later sold the store to TJ Hughes, which of course has also long since closed, but I was wondering, when TJ Hughes took over the store, did the store get a total refit so that it was unrecognizable from being a House Of Fraser store, or did it retain a lot of, if not all of the internal decor that was present when the store was still a House Of Fraser store? 

I'm interested to know because where I'm from, our House Of Fraser store was passed on to another retailer in the late 90s as well, and even now, the store retains a lot of the old decor that was present from it's days as a House Of Fraser store. 

6 hours ago, Paracosm said:

I know it was originally a store called Walsh's, which House Of Fraser took over, then House Of Fraser later sold the store to TJ Hughes, which of course has also long since closed, but I was wondering, when TJ Hughes took over the store, did the store get a total refit so that it was unrecognizable from being a House Of Fraser store, or did it retain a lot of, if not all of the internal decor that was present when the store was still a House Of Fraser store? 

I'm interested to know because where I'm from, our House Of Fraser store was passed on to another retailer in the late 90s as well, and even now, the store retains a lot of the old decor that was present from it's days as a House Of Fraser store. 

The original Walsh's was completely destroyed by fire on the night of 12/13th December 1940.

Rebuilt in 1968, it was would have been brand new when Walsh's was sold to House of Fraser but rebranded as Rackham's in the 1970s and back to House Of Fraser in the 1980s.

You will information on the Sheffield store on Walsh's / rackhams on this Forum.

Also:

BBC Turn Back Time: Memories of Walsh's store in Sheffield

Edited by Annie Bynnol