Big Screen

1 hour ago, butlers said:

Just had a quick look around the country not found 1 council provided big screen,all seem to be private companies.

I hardly think the town will be downcast without a big screen win or lose on Sunday

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Absolutely agree. Just looks like another excuse to do a bit of council bashing.

Perhaps if someone like yellow bus events or one of their equivalent offered to host the big screen the council will be more interested, but I agree with others that personally  it's a ridiculous idea and not one I would want our  already dwindling resources being spent on.

It may have escaped people's attention but covid has not gone away. Pubs, bars and restaurants still have very strict rules on numbers and how people access and use their services. At a time when there are still vast numbers of people in the city who are waiting either their first and/or second Vaccines, and in the middle of a very precarious time when the proposed lifting of restrictions could be repealed at any moment, do we really want to be deliberately setting up a mass gathering of loose crowds to watch a game of football.

Yes I get it is a national event. Yes I get it is  a rarity for the National squad to be in the final. Yes I get it is of great importance to many, but not all.  There are plenty of ways people can watch it either in a group or private setting.

Certain people and the hysterical Media may be talking as if the entire world is going to stop between 8-10 p.m. on Sunday but the reality is there are vast numbers of those who couldn't give a flying fig. It's just a football match.

Its a missed opportunity by the council to hold an outdoor, feel good, event for a once in a life time football match after the dreadful past 18 months...

At least we had that bike lane on Derek Dooley way though eh.... 

Edited by Sheridan1-0

Just now, Sheridan1-0 said:

Its a missed opportunity by the council to hold an outdoor, feel good, event for a once in a life time football match after the dreadful past 18 months...

No it isnt. For every person moaning they arent paying a TV screen, there will be two people saying its a waste of taxpayers money. They cant win either way can they?

And as already said, its not really a good look for a local authority to be paying for a mass gathering pre-July 19th.

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

No it isnt. For every person moaning they arent paying a TV screen, there will be two people saying its a waste of taxpayers money. They cant win either way can they?

And as already said, its not really a good look for a local authority to be paying for a mass gathering pre-July 19th.

But its ok to have thousands in Hillsborough Park just a few days later.....good job Covid has a calendar  and stops infecting people after the 19th..

Personally I don't think the council should pay for a big screen but that's just my opinion. 

Just now, butlers said:

But ..Tramlines is a private event with pricey tickets people pay to get in.

They have to prove vaccination status / test status.

Not even close to comparing like for like

Funny story... 

I know a guy who's going to the tramlines event. He's anti jab and anti mask so I asked how he will be getting round having to prove he's been jabbed. 

"Oh ill just jump over the fence" he casually replied. 

OK, so it's not a side splitting kind of funny but the way he said it did give me a good giggle. 

50 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

But its ok to have thousands in Hillsborough Park just a few days later.....good job Covid has a calendar  and stops infecting people after the 19th..

Do the council run Tramlines?

No.

There is of course nothing stopping a private promoter applying to put a big screen up on Sunday?

54 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Tramlines is part of the research programme…

We’re pleased to confirm that Tramlines will be part of the Government’s Events Research Programme, allowing a full capacity audience to join us at Hillsborough Park and contribute to research which will help other events to go ahead safely

From…

https://tramlines.org.uk/tramlines-2021-is-going-ahead/

1 hour ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

As it seems that no other local authority is doing anything similar either, & all the other local authorities have had an equally dreadful 18 months, it seems that no local authority has an appetite for this sort of thing. So SCC is no different to anyone else.

I put it to you, why not put the event on yourself? Perhaps your answer might be that you can't afford it as you've got better things to spend your money on. I suggest SCC would proffer a similar argument.

Maybe it would be time best spent lambasting all the private events companies who aren't taking advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity

2 hours ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Opportunity for what exactly?

With exception of the expense of installing it, cost of security and policing it, cost of cleaning up and repairs after the event, just exactly what is the council gaining from this?

Bearing in mind that kickoff is not until 8 p.m. being several hours after the shops closed and the majority of restaurants, bars, pubs and venues which are also going to be showing the match will have their own trade pre-booked days in advance, it's not as if the mass footfall is going to bring any great improvements to city businesses either.

Edited by ECCOnoob