Next Steps For "Cole Store": The Old John Lewis Site in Barkers Pool

I went past the building last week at about 10.0 am and there was loads of lights on inside.  Are they really necessary, it seems a huge waste of energy (and cost) or are they there so that 'intruders ' can see what they are doing?

14 hours ago, Bilge said:

Makes sense. Whatever happens with it will take a while.

We really need a quality landmark building on this site. There might be a case for setting it back a bit to enhance the square. But a park over the whole site would be a ludicrous waste of an opportunity. With a mix of uses there has to be money in it.

As long as the land mark building doesn't look as bland as all the new structures that have cropped up of late.
The HSBC building makes me think of some European building from the 80's

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Come on then, all you ideas merchants.

I feel sorry for them. City centre is changing and in our lifetime it is not going back to what it was 50 years ago no matter how crazy their ideas or how much money they throw at it. 

It would be better for them to take some emotional let go and say goodbye therapy. Accepting this change may be more helpful than any desperate hopeless moves to go back to the past.

We also miss the old john lewis there but everything dies one day and so far this has not been a big issue.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Update on the John Lewis site. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/cole-brothers-revamped-john-lewis-in-sheffield-will-be-named-cole-store-4360364

The new name for the development will be 'Cole Store'. 

That name has been on the architects 3D renders and in the public domain for months.  More quality journalism from the Star.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

That name has been on the architects 3D renders and in the public domain for months.  More quality journalism from the Star.

It's weird isn't it? Someone on another forum I frequent also posted these pictures and news as if it was something brand new? From the article it seems to be because plans were 'announced' at a conference recently, but I can't see a single thing about the name, description or CGIs that look different to what was already announced back in June!