Next Steps For "Cole Store": The Old John Lewis Site in Barkers Pool

On 26/09/2024 at 11:11, AndrewC said:

99% of the time I would be in agreement about the poster you are responding to but I have to say Urban Splash are a company I am actually quite cynical about.

Beneath the colourful cladding and glossy brochures the regeneration of Park Hill has never really amounted to much more than refurbished flats, and that's a project which has taken some 2 decades to progress and still isn't finished.

Meanwhile, Cole Store plans were presented a few years ago, the lease was won by US and all that's happened since is seemingly just a series of waits and consultations. One suspects funding and a lack of interest from tenants for what they originally proposed is the real issue here but they don't want to admit that, and announcing things like this helps kick the can down the road without doing nothing.

I want to be wrong and here's hoping I am.

Yes, Urban Splash have their patter down to a fine art and manage to come across (to some) as more than just another profit-oriented property developer. But their bottom line is their bottom line and all their talk of community just looks like PR guff to me. Just look at all the affordable / social housing they were definitely going to put in at Park Hill but didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/new-pictures-show-exciting-rooftop-vision-for-sheffields-old-john-lewis-store-including-5-a-side-football-and-padel-tennis-4827747

Latest "update" on the plans for the building.  I like the ideas and if compartmentalised could start to see the building being used fairly quickly.  Still hate the name "Coles Store" though.  As for the nightclub surely you call it Coles Corner!