Over A Quarter Of A Million For A Park Hill Flat

57 minutes ago, bogeyman101 said:

I don't understand why anyone would say they look awful now. When Park Hill was run down with rotting window frames and damaged balustrades, not to mention the general aesthetic of being scruffy, it did look awful. But in my opinion, Urban Splash have done a pretty good job of making it look modern and liveable again.

These are good points. Whenever you read about the best cities to live in, Sheffield often seems to get overlooked. We should be up there with places like Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool. Don't we need a vibrant city center that attracts young professionals and investment? The Park Hill flats regeneration seems to be just the kind of thing we need.

Agree entirely.

I haven't been in one of the flats but from what I can see online they look really nice, and presumably have great views over the city. They certainly have a fabulous cafe/restaurant very near (South St Kitchen) and other businesses either there or coming, including an art gallery/space.

Easy links to transport, and no need to waste a load of time and energy in demolition and rebuild, which would have been a ridiculous waste of resource.

Living at Park Hill suits my personal circumstances.  I don’t own a car so being close to public transport, shops etc is important - i also need to occasionally travel for work.  I like modern architecture and there are some nice design features both retained from the original building but also from the redevelopment.  This was as close as an  opportunity to own an architect designed modern home as I would ever get.  Park Hill is also surrounded by greenery (i don’t think people realise how many trees there are to the rear or the lawns and wildflower meadows) so it does not feel in a city centre like other flats.

36 minutes ago, Liv20 said:

Living at Park Hill suits my personal circumstances.  I don’t own a car so being close to public transport, shops etc is important - i also need to occasionally travel for work.  I like modern architecture and there are some nice design features both retained from the original building but also from the redevelopment.  This was as close as an  opportunity to own an architect designed modern home as I would ever get.  Park Hill is also surrounded by greenery (i don’t think people realise how many trees there are to the rear or the lawns and wildflower meadows) so it does not feel in a city centre like other flats.

Hmmm... :huh:

I'd heard that people living at Park Hill tend not to own a car for very long... :suspect:

6 hours ago, bogeyman101 said:

I don't understand why anyone would say they look awful now. When Park Hill was run down with rotting window frames and damaged balustrades, not to mention the general aesthetic of being scruffy, it did look awful. But in my opinion, Urban Splash have done a pretty good job of making it look modern and liveable again.

I live in Newcastle and it is over a year since I last saw Park Hill Flats..  I have to agree with you they did look a lot better.  Next time I’m in Sheffield I’ll take more notice.  

On 18/07/2021 at 18:45, ECCOnoob said:

^^^^^^  what they said.

So thank christ some "scumbag" "disgraceful" "greedy" private enterprise developer has taken a punt in doing them up, making them attractive,  getting them on the obvious demand filled  market and breathing some life and populus into the building once again....otherwise it would simply become one of many empty, decaying eyesores around the city.

Bring on the gentrification I say.

Sick of all the horse crap about ordinary homes for the ordinary working people. Most of those said ordinary folk started choosing not to live there or moving out 30+ years ago.  Most of the ones that were left were just the type of morons who didn't deserve such accommodation after they decided to turn what was at one time an architectural revolution elevating hundreds of families out of back-to-back or almost slum like conditions into a publicly funded modern day crime ridden dump. Can't have it both ways.  

The world has moved on. I fully embrace our next generation of younger people with their much more ambitious and less backward thinking mindset. The entire world of work has changed dramatically over the past decades and even more so in the past 18 months. I'm sick of certain types of people harping on about the past and pandering to some tiny fraction of so called "real worker" class who have failed to evolve with the times. 

Things cost money. If people want better things than they need to prepare to pay for it.

Now let me be very clear before certain types of people jump all over me. I am not against the notion that everybody has the right to a roof over their head.  I am not against the notion that everybody has a right to a minimum standard of living. I am not against the notion that the state should be there to provide a basic welfare provision to its citizens. However, that certainly does not translate to some automatic right to live in a primary location in primary real estate a short hop away from the centre of town.

I agree entirely.  And looking at the flats now, against what they were 20 years ago and not anyone's first, second or even third choice of social housing, there is no comparison.  They are airy, bright, with fantastic views.  And people obviously take pride in them.   

13 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

What's it's like to live in?

I've not lived in, but been in a few, as I said Tin... the first thing I noticed was the full window in the lounge, with balcony. Way better than new builds I've seen. 

I think people who bought early on will benefit, because they took a risk buying one, because it was new and unpoplar to many Sheffielders... if they sell now and give these risk-takers a boost on the property market, I think they deserve it. 

As I said I looked at one, and some in Kelham Island, and decided (wrongly as it happened, but I'm ok with it) that it was too risky purchase. 

10 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I agree entirely.  And looking at the flats now, against what they were 20 years ago and not anyone's first, second or even third choice of social housing, there is no comparison.  They are airy, bright, with fantastic views.  And people obviously take pride in them.   

Just like when they were first built in the early 60s.

I remember an aunty, uncle and cousin moving into Park Hill Flats ( Norwich Row ) when it was brand new.

Compared to where they had moved from it was like living in a palace.   The flats were bright, spacious and were fully fitted even down to a waste disposal unit in the kitchen sink.  I'll never forget my uncle losing his false teeth down the waste disposal unit in the sink !!  We still laugh about that now.  🤣

The views from the windows were fantastic.  People were proud to live there and looked after their little palaces.  Sadly as often happens, the whole place which once won design awards went downhill and nobody wanted to live there.   Unfortunately it was a dream that turned sour.

Being in my 70’s I recall large Neo Gothic Late Victorian properties in Burngreave being occupied by the likes of Northern General doctors and other senior hospital staff back when I was a lad. Never say never where once slum properties suddenly get a second chance, as with many areas of Sheffield a visible police force would be a great help, but don’t hold your breath.