Do Decorators Charge Per Job Or Per Hour?

I have all the paint, brushes, rollers etc. 

Most of the prep has been done. 

I just need walls and skirting painted in my Hallway, Stairs including banister rail and back room. 

Do decorators charge by the job or the hour? 

Can anyone recommend a reliable and not too pricey decorator? 

Thanks in advance 🙏

Thank you for that West77

Good point about the paint brushes. It was a very stupid thing for me to post 🤣

I've taken on board all your points and I'll start looking for a decorator now. In fact, SF has its own jobs page, I'd forgot about that so I may as well start there. 

Thanks again West77

🙏

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Any decent professional decorator will give you a price for the job.  Any decorator who doesn't have their own  brushes or rollers isn't a professional decorator.  You supplying the paint shouldn't  be a problem assuming it's a good quality paint and you have enough quantity of the paint to do the job to a professional standard.

I will just add you may think most of the preparation has been done but a professional decorator may judge otherwise. Preparation is just or arguably more important to a good job than applying the paint. 

All of this is correct . Under these conditions you will end up with "Dave" from the pub , who is a roofer but also does decorating.

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

All of this is correct . Under these conditions you will end up with "Dave" from the pub , who is a roofer but also does decorating.

😂

Fair point well made. 

I've posted in the jobs section, hopefully my ad will attract somone a little better qualified than Dave the roofer👍

Any work I've had done, decorating, re-roofing, fitted kitchen etc I've always had three quotes. If any quote is way under the others they're more than likely cowboys, any way over and they're likely trying to rip you off.  Also useful to meet the workers before you employ them - you'll usually be able to judge if they're trustworthy / know what they're talking about.

Did the same as finance manager for a housing charity when we (regularly) needed maintenance / decorating etc. Unfortunately all this is 10 years or more ago so not up to speed with current Sheffield trades.

My wife’s old boss who ran a very successful building firm used the same criteria when using tradesmen, this being to look at the state of their van/car and their tools. I would add that there are plenty of trade boards and vans with trade details outside houses, I’m sure that you could sort the wheat from the chaff.

15 hours ago, West 77 said:

I appreciate your generous polite reply.  I wish I could recommend a professional decorator but I can't because I've always done my own decorating.  I'm not as fast as a professional decorator but I don't think a man on a galloping horse would spot any mistakes I've made.

Man on a galloping horse 😂

Love it 👍 Yeah I've always done my own too, I quite enjoyed it as well but my hands are a real problem these days. I can't hold a brush or roller for more than s few minutes then I'm in pain in my wrists and hands. 

A sigh Im getting old maybe? Lol

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

Any work I've had done, decorating, re-roofing, fitted kitchen etc I've always had three quotes. If any quote is way under the others they're more than likely cowboys, any way over and they're likely trying to rip you off.  Also useful to meet the workers before you employ them - you'll usually be able to judge if they're trustworthy / know what they're talking about.

Did the same as finance manager for a housing charity when we (regularly) needed maintenance / decorating etc. Unfortunately all this is 10 years or more ago so not up to speed with current Sheffield trades.

Some great sounding advice there. Thank you I'll be sure to follow your tips🙏