The Future Of Sheffield City Centre

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Next you go to town have a good look around, you will see loads of empty offices, high st, west st, ect.

It's not a simple as just looking at the number of vacancies though. The question is whether those currently available offices are offering what businesses want and need these days.

Commercial decisions have to be made about the extent of the space they offer, facility,  layout, the potential cost of renovation compared to building brand new....

I'm pretty sure savvy business will not invest millions of pounds building brand new developments if they already know there is something suitable already existing.

It's all about the evolution I keep saying. Plenty of these old office developments have already been or are earmarked for conversion into apartments, student living, mixed use, leisure... We've already seen it happen with some huge buildings in Sheffield. I remember the days when Aon, Capita, Probation Service, British Telecom, social services filled some of the biggest buildings in this city. However times have changed and despite all these companies still being present elsewhere their original big bulky office blocks are seeing new life as apartments.

Business need develops. In my industry I'm old enough to remember the days when every lawyer had their own individual office and secretary, every floor had its own post room and typing pool and the filing system would take up three quarters of the basement. Now we are all open plan, collaborative workspaces, my secretary works for six of us, back office administration is centralised to some Industrial Estate and the filing system could fit onto a server no bigger than a 4 drawer cabinet.

There is far more to it.  A visible presence of vacancies does not automatically mean lack of demand. The question is whether it is the right accommodation to meet the demand.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, butlers said:

"Featuring high quality materials within a well fenestrated building." 

Fenestrated?  It's got windows.  Yes, I had to look it up. 

Anyone got the number of the Plain English Society? 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

"Featuring high quality materials within a well fenestrated building." 

Fenestrated?  It's got windows.  Yes, I had to look it up. 

Anyone got the number of the Plain English Society? 

It was a technical report, using terms well understood by its target audience.

Edited by Bargepole23

I did wonder why the Pennine Centre has has £20 million spent to refurbish it ,as it looks an ok building.

Turns out there's 2  increasingly tight energy efficiency standards to be met by 2030 and lots of building will not be allowed to be let after 2025 unless they meet them.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to attend a monthly a autism social group down near sheffield castle  and walk through the city centre to fitzwilliam gate.

I hope they develop the castle into a big tourist attraction.

That area near castle market along waingate and haymarket is scruffy and run down and need some investment then you have debenhams on the moor thats going to leave a big empty space there are already a number of empty shop units on the moor

• 2 weeks later...