Walking And Cycling Prioritised In New Highway Code

On 30/07/2021 at 13:44, HumbleNarrator said:

There are lots of people on the roads that should read the highway code.

Yes. Many are called 'cyclists', although- to be fair- they're often on the pavement instead.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

On 31/07/2021 at 08:27, Baron99 said:

As someone who considers themselves to be a considerate motorist, I look forward to the new Highway Code rules as long as they also drive home the fact that cyclists also have to play second fiddle to pedestrians. 

Cyclists - unless you're under 10 years old & under the supervision of your parents, GET OFF THE PAVEMENT! 

I'm a pedestrian/public transport user 90% of the time. Occasional driver, haven't been on a bike in years, truthfully.

I hardly ever see cyclists on the pavement, or running red lights at crossings when I'm using them. My experience is cyclists on pavements usually travel slow and steady enough for it to barely be an issue. If you're somewhere like The Moor for example there's so much space that it's a complete non-issue. At crossings, I'm not sure I've ever had to stop crossing because of a cyclist who didn't stop for me. If they move through the red-light after I've crossed because the crossing is clear, it's really causing no one an issue apart from drivers with chips on their shoulders.

On 01/08/2021 at 17:03, Bargepole23 said:

Where are all these pavements full of cyclists? Which part of the city? I occasionally see 1 or 2 in a month in S11, no issue whatsoever.

I see motor vehicles parked where they shouldn't be, every day of the week. 

Exactly. As a pedestrian, badly parked cars cause me to risk my safety on a daily basis. Walking in the road when the pavement is blocked, blind crossing because a car is too close to the junction, etc. Cyclists are far more like pedestrians in their movements & behaviours (the Danes & Dutch learned this a long time ago), and if you provide good infrastructure they can co-exist very well. The same can't be said of cars & drivers. Vehicles are too big, and drivers too careless.