Sheffield Wednesday V Doncaster

bassett one

4 minutes ago, prince al said:

I hope Andre Green watched the Everton game on MOTD. A selection of examples of how to  cross a ball into the danger area.

He surely can’t start the next game, been poor so far, we looked much better when Byers came on.

15 hours ago, top4718 said:

I'd slightly disagree on the first half, it was dull but I think we started the better, Donny got into it after about 15-20mins but apart from the chance you mentioned didn't really look like scoring, second half much better - Green was poor again, Wing and Johnson caught the eye, Iorfa and Hutchinson were fantastic at the back.

It felt quite emotional before the game with people greeting each other and meeting up with friends they wont have seen for some time, I enjoyed the day more than the performance but the 3 points was very welcome.

I just say it as i see it, I saw us really struggle playing out of the back, they pressured us and we looked very uncomfortable throughout the 1st period doing it, a better side would have forced more mistakes.We had 3 shots at goal the 1st half, all wayward and didnt trouble the keeper, first shot on target was after almost an hour,Wing forcing the keepers first meaningfull participation, where as BPF had to make 2 first half stops and we got off lightly with a curling shot that went very close.

We cant use the new players getting to know one another excuse, as donny are in complete dissary compared to us and couldnt even fill their own bench, disrupted pre season with covid, a player up front who only signed the day before (Gilbrath), 3 youth players among the subs and they really stretched Wednesday throughout the game, they had players going down with cramp and others playing on fumes.

2nd half they didnt pass it about at the back quite as much and got some impetus going forward, but the tempo did drop, just prior to and after the goals, bogle forcing another good save after the pen near the end.

Room for improvement would be an understatement.

1 hour ago, staninoodle said:

I just say it as i see it, I saw us really struggle playing out of the back, they pressured us and we looked very uncomfortable throughout the 1st period doing it, a better side would have forced more mistakes.We had 3 shots at goal the 1st half, all wayward and didnt trouble the keeper, first shot on target was after almost an hour,Wing forcing the keepers first meaningfull participation, where as BPF had to make 2 first half stops and we got off lightly with a curling shot that went very close.

We cant use the new players getting to know one another excuse, as donny are in complete dissary compared to us and couldnt even fill their own bench, disrupted pre season with covid, a player up front who only signed the day before (Gilbrath), 3 youth players among the subs and they really stretched Wednesday throughout the game, they had players going down with cramp and others playing on fumes.

2nd half they didnt pass it about at the back quite as much and got some impetus going forward, but the tempo did drop, just prior to and after the goals, bogle forcing another good save after the pen near the end.

Room for improvement would be an understatement.

You must have watched a different Doncaster to the one I saw …apart from a ten minute spell they could hardly string two passes together..ill disciplined..shooting wide from good positions..the penalty miss & follow up summed up their day ..Yes Wednesday have room for improvement but let’s find our best 11 when everyone’s fit & available & not overlook the fact 4 points from 2 games is a decent start ..

1 hour ago, cmonkes said:

Hard to really set this one as a benchmark for the season, but never the less it's three points in a Derby game.

I expect much more from us pre season against a poor Doncaster team, but for us it was a mid tempo friendly.

I don't expect Doncaster to be anywhere near the top come may based on what I saw that day.

Imo, there’s only one derby as far as Sheffield teams are concerned.
A Football Heaven presenter once said Wednesday v Hull is a derby and someone questioned it.

Yes it is - it’s a Yorkshire derby.

I sent him a text asking if Newcastle v Plymouth is an English derby.
He said it is.

50 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

You must have watched a different Doncaster to the one I saw …apart from a ten minute spell they could hardly string two passes together..ill disciplined..shooting wide from good positions..the penalty miss & follow up summed up their day ..Yes Wednesday have room for improvement but let’s find our best 11 when everyone’s fit & available & not overlook the fact 4 points from 2 games is a decent start ..

We must have bud, wednesday lost possesion 35 times as opposed to 17 times for donny, who made 14 interceptions s opposed to 11, donny 432 completed passes to our 355 we  deffo watched different games there pal. Donny also won the tackle in possesion count by 8-20

Edited by staninoodle

19 minutes ago, staninoodle said:

We must have bud, wednesday lost possesion 35 times as opposed to 17 times for donny, who made 14 interceptions s opposed to 11, donny 432 completed passes to our 355 we  deffo watched different games there pal. Donny also won the tackle in possesion count by 8-20

I think your over binging on stats, did Donny really look like winning that game yesterday, no not at all. If we can pick up points while not at our best it’s a good basis to build on.

17 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I think your over binging on stats, did Donny really look like winning that game yesterday, no not at all. If we can pick up points while not at our best it’s a good basis to build on.

I just thought it was a poor performance against a very, very weak team and the stats bear that out.

Those stats will have to improve by quite some distance as we come up against what will be far stiffer opponents

40 minutes ago, staninoodle said:

I just thought it was a poor performance against a very, very weak team and the stats bear that out.

Those stats will have to improve by quite some distance as we come up against what will be far stiffer opponents

I can see what your saying but it’s very early days and as long as we’re picking up points I’m not too bothered about performances at this stage, where we are around November will give more indication.

3 hours ago, staninoodle said:

I know what I saw & I stand by what put in my previous post …Doncaster were awful …you’re making out like their  Real Madrid ..& you missed the most important statistic..goals scored…