Letting The Kids Spread Their Wings.

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Crikey I bet its expensive for you at Christmas. 

I hope she does find her own way in life and becomes a success at what ever she does. Her coach has real faith she will be successful in her sport  and he's outstanding when it comes to helping her emotionally. He's probably better than I am so recently I decided to stay out of that part of her life. I just drop her off and wait outside. In a few weeks she's already Improved both technically and emotionally so that's a good start. I do miss watching her though. I've been watching her train for 5 years now. I've never missed a session. I'm too lazy to train though. It looks like waaaaaaaay too much hard work 😁

Ah, wallpaper. I hope she never asks me to do that. I'll do anything else but that. It always looks shocking when I've done it. 

You keep safe too matey 🙏

Don't mention the C (Christmas) Word, we're already contemplating buying presents.

I used to do the same with some of ours with their Karate lessons.

Your girl sounds fine, College and attending Gym and has friends has to be better than those who have no interests.

The wallpapering  is one of those things that has been handed down through the generations as has the large Bone 

Handled carving knife used for cutting wallpaper (we're talking "that's not a Knife - this is a Knife" Crocodile Dundee here)

(which is probably apt as some of the family were from Dundee:bigsmile:

My Gran used to paper for my Mother till she got the hang of it. I took over from my Mother for our children.

The sense of achievement laying wallpaper around silly corners, down stairs all works for me & if we wanted to get

all philosophical about it we could say it was like life itself. take those awkward  moments as they come.

PS;  Don't think once they leave home doesn't mean their not coming home again.

One of ours came to stay one Christmas & stopped for 3 years :lol:

Keep safe

16 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Random single Dad question.....

I know there comes a time when you have to step back, have faith and let your kids find their feet in life. 

All kids need their independence at some point but speaking from a Dad's point of view I don't want to let my little girl go. 

There's a big wide world out there full of wonders and dangers. All kids are different so how do you know when your child is up to the task? 

It's a tricky world for youngsters to navigate at the moment DADDY, but your little girl has her lovely Dad for support and just knowing that you're there on her side makes a big difference.

Confidence is key so hang back and let her make mistakes (as long as they're not too drastic) and learn from them. That's how we all grow.

On 10/08/2021 at 06:07, Anna B said:

It's a tricky world for youngsters to navigate at the moment DADDY, but your little girl has her lovely Dad for support and just knowing that you're there on her side makes a big difference.

Confidence is key so hang back and let her make mistakes (as long as they're not too drastic) and learn from them. That's how we all grow.

It's a jungle out there, what with peer pressure, celeb culture, and all the rest of the material world influences on our kids.

Today the parents role is tougher than ever, but also more important.

You need to start them young.

My post war generation grew up with morality tales, folklore, passed down for hundreds, even thousands of years. Homers Iliad, and Odyssey, Aesops Fables, proverbs, fairy tales, and some great children's literature, but now, sadly disparaged by today's self styled elite.

So I would say making good literature available early is important. Try turning the TV off.

A day of hiking and picnicking in the country, beats a day in the totally artificial environment of an amusement park, and costs almost nothing. You will be surprised at how many questions they ask you.

And, the hardest part of all, setting  a good example.

Most successful folks who get achievement awards inevitably thank their parents.

On 10/08/2021 at 10:07, Anna B said:

Thank you Anna that's lovely of you to say and your advice makes perfect sense. 

I'll be sure to follow it. 

Thank you again Anna 🙏

11 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Hi Daddio, you've told us about  your daughters activities.  Do you have any that are just for you?

Hi Jane. I hope you've had a good day. Well my days consists mainly of taking care of my son who is quite ill but a fantastic young man. He makes me dead proud. He's had a horrible 4 or so years and he never dwells on it he just tries to pick himself up, dust himself down and get on with it. It's fair to say he's a bit of an inspiration to me. 

I also help my daughter train at home during the day then I take her to the gym in the evenings. I also take her to events and shows around the country when they come up. She's got a big event due very soon so she's working extra hard. When I'm not doing that I just do Dad things like the cooking and cleaning, all the good stuff lol. If I get some time I like to relax by drying out stuff and putting them in olive oil for cooking and stuff and trying out recipes for the kids meals. 

I won't lie sometimes I crave adult company and conversation especially in the evenings when the kids are in bed but that's not possible right now so I tend not to give it too much thought if I can help it. When I do think about it and it gets to me I try to look at the positives in life. I've got my kids and they love me, now that's one hell of a bright side and I'm truly blessed. 

I'm sorry to hear about your sons illness and hope everything goes well for him.  I wrongly assumed it was just you and your daughter at home.  I was going to suggest you have something outside the home that is just for you, even if it was something simple like an hour in the pub or a walk round a park.

Like I told you I have a special needs daughter and it's very easy to devote all my time to being Sarah's mum.  I have dogs that I walk and talk to different people on the walks where I'm not just Sarah's mum.  I have a name, Jane.

If you could do something simple like that I would hope it would improve your mental well being.

On 09/08/2021 at 18:25, El Cid said:

My 21 year old has just bought a brand new car on PCP. I dont believe that is the right thing to do, but she has to learn.

why?? my daughter did the same at 20 shes on her second car now upgraded , we have the comfort to know its not going to break down and its warrantied, if she cant afford it she can hand it back after 2 years. my daughter is also on her 2nd house at 24 and learning as she goes about managing money. let them make mistakes thats how they learn.

On 09/08/2021 at 17:24, The_DADDY said:

Random single Dad question.....

I know there comes a time when you have to step back, have faith and let your kids find their feet in life. 

All kids need their independence at some point but speaking from a Dad's point of view I don't want to let my little girl go. 

There's a big wide world out there full of wonders and dangers. All kids are different so how do you know when your child is up to the task? 

you have to let them go find their own way but be there in the background for when they have a tumble, its carey thinking about all the bad things but they are far more independent than you  imagine, both mine made good moves didnt do especially well at school average they hated school couldn't wait to get out and earn, one is 28 and went to dubai at 22 having never been, to fly the world , now lives there full time and is marrying another uk ex pat, she has had a couple of hiccups but shes great now, the other is running a web sales co at 25 and earning more than i did at 25.

they are still my little girls but you have to let them explore, trip up and suceed.....they will.

6 hours ago, ab6262 said:

you have to let them go find their own way but be there in the background for when they have a tumble, its carey thinking about all the bad things but they are far more independent than you  imagine, both mine made good moves didnt do especially well at school average they hated school couldn't wait to get out and earn, one is 28 and went to dubai at 22 having never been, to fly the world , now lives there full time and is marrying another uk ex pat, she has had a couple of hiccups but shes great now, the other is running a web sales co at 25 and earning more than i did at 25.

they are still my little girls but you have to let them explore, trip up and suceed.....they will.

That's fantastic. I bet you are very proud of them both. My daughter has just enrolled for her 2nd year at college. She wants to be a Sports coach and also teach martial arts. She's extremely dedicated, 6 days a week at the gym and she's super excited. I reckon she'll find her own way and to be honest I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill with this thread, I guess I'm a worrier but she's my little girl,she has problems but she's a tough cookie. Perhaps I'm not giving her the credit she deserves. 

Damn this parenting thing can be tricky lol

Thanks for the advice. It's very much appreciated 🙏