Annoying Small Change.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Best place to get rid of all your coins now is by using the self service tills in supermarkets, just pour it in and pay any remainder on a card.

There is somewhere I went abroad once, cant remember, where in the shops all prices were in multiples of 1 but the coinage only started at 5, that could still work I suppose. Cant remember what happened at the till if they rounded up or down to the nearest 5

Just remembered where this was - it was the Czech Republic (30 koruna to the £)

All prices in supermarkets are in koruna to 2 decimal places however the lowest value coin is the 1 koruna coin, and everything is rounded off.  Dont see why the same couldnt apply in the UK if 1p and 2p coins are binned (could round off to the nearest 5p)

Edited by HeHasRisen

I must confess that a Habit, Passion, Hobby of mine, is lurking around my local school, at dinner time, The kids come out and purchase their meals from the surrounding shops, any 1p or 2p coins they receive in change, they chuck in the gutter..

I take great enjoyment in retrieving them..

Be a lot better though if they were 5p's or 10p's.

Just now, Padders said:

I must confess that a Habit, Passion, Hobby of mine, is lurking around my local school, at dinner time, The kids come out and purchase their meals from the surrounding shops, any 1p or 2p coins they receive in change, they chuck in the gutter..

I take great enjoyment in retrieving them..

Be a lot better though if they were 5p's or 10p's.

I am relieved you went on to elaborate 🤣

3 hours ago, Padders said:

I'm sick of 1p's  and  2p's in my change.

Surely the time has come to round everything up to 5p.

Lets get rid them, send em to room 101. they are nothing but a nuisance. I think the government were considering it a couple of years ago, but there was an uproar, so they dropped the idea.

If there is a charity box handy, then I pop them in..

Some people argue that charity's would lose out....No they wouldn't !  people would simply pop in their 5p's and 10p's..

Is now the time to abolish them ?

Bad idea Padders, do you love inflation? How about rounding everything down for once instead of letting greed triumph again.

i suggest you put them in a jar and once a year take them to the supermarket and put them in the money machine and take the cash,donate to charity or save on your shopping with the reciept,so its not all bad padders,or you could donate to mr chansiri ,every penny helps as they say

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

i suggest you put them in a jar and once a year take them to the supermarket and put them in the money machine and take the cash,donate to charity or save on your shopping with the reciept,so its not all bad padders,or you could donate to mr chansiri ,every penny helps as they say

I was just going to suggest the same thing. If you go to Tesco’s on Infirmary Rd they have a large money changing machine . You put all your small change in and a token comes out for you to spend that amount in Tesco’s on food .