Time To Permanently Close Down Uk Schools?

9 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

Ah the BBc report?? it must be true then. we all know every household nowadays no matter how poor has access to the internet and google wether by phone or pc and if there are a minute percentage that havent then theatpercentage is even smaller for HS kids and exams, you know it and i know it!

plenty could be helped by google, coursework Plagiarised for many subjects, history, maths, geography and sciences its all out there folks?

I can send one from somewhere else if you like.  The Sheffield star ran a campaign to get laptops to disadvantaged kids in the city. Plenty of other places were doing something similar. But, best not to read it just in case it goes against your viewpoint.

I don't like doing long posts on a phone, let alone a days worth of work. And yeah, alot of households have pc - but more often than not just one. Not much use if you have 3 kids and you're working from home.

3 hours ago, ab6262 said:

so you think students perform better at home and thats why the results are better.....HMMMMM! more like a complete dumbing down of the whole system, allowances for this that and the other! not real results and in years to come when these students go for job positions any savvy employer will think twice about exam results sat in 20-21, an exam is a test to see how you perform under conditions not sat in your bedroom using google every 5 mins

You are aware that it isnt the pupils fault they didnt do exams due to this pandemic thingy going on, yes?

5 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

The whole thing is a con. Young people have and will pay a great deal as a result of the covid restrictions while deriving the least benefit from those restrictions. We as a society are attempting to pay off one group of these young people in the greatly devalued currency of grade-inflated exam certificates.

Totally agree.

I’m not at all sure our political leaders have made the best decisions.

I can’t help but feel it may have been better to keep to the same standards, obviously resulting in fewer passes, but then also make provision for extending education after lock-down. What we’ve had instead feels a bit fudged.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Schooling should be about much more than exams. Why is closing down schools the answer to rising exam grades?

I’m not seriously suggesting that! My sarcasm is perhaps too obtuse!

I am just pointing out that if you’re going to pretend that standards haven’t been lowered, then logically, you have to conclude that the education regime during lock-down (kids not in school) is more effective than in previous years (kids in school), and so, we do better without schools, let’s knock em all down!

I don’t take that position at all, I believe standards have very much been lowered.

On 13/08/2021 at 10:53, trastrick said:

As someone who marked HS exam papers during summer break (unless I am imagining again, Lol) 2001 to 2004.

We were given a weeks "training" in how to mark papers for the current year, then given a test batch of papers to mark and submit, to see if we understood this years standards of scoring.

If they were happy with the test batch, they would send as many as my partner and I could manage in a month. Good money too.

I can only assume that the teachers themselves could not be bothered during their summer break, Lol

And the standards they set were to a large degree dependent on political considerations, to manipulate the published outcomes to their benefit.

Of course the bright students suffered, in the name of "equality".

Bright students always suffer in the name of equality. I am in favour of equality and social justice. Special Needs kids are a part of the system. However, so are the bright kids and they aren't really recognised. They don't get any funding, or any help for being 'bright'. So we don't 'help' and 'support' the top 15% or 25% of kids in the education system. All exam results are political. The goal posts of pass rates are decided outside of school in order to fit and suit international and national league tables. I would say that in the UK, a GCSE pass at grade A now, is equivalent to a 1970/1980 grade C. Schools have been academised in the main, and they are run as businesses. Great salaries for the CEO and his/her tribe. In theory, schools are supposed to promote and acknowledge social mobility, social reproduction, cultural capital, habitus and so on and so forth. In reality, the social ladder is a hard climb. A majority of kids that leave Uni with a degree actually have gained nothing more than a £27,000 (and more) student loan debt. Whilst kids with special needs are given more than that in funding just to be able to attend primary through secondary school. Me thinks Pierre Bourdieu would have had something to say! But who listens to theorists anymore??!!