Who Is Arming The Taliban .

13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Not totally convinced it's that loopy. Warlords in Uzbekistan have already legged it away from the Afghan border, and the Taliban already have a foothold in Pakistan. Now they've got numbers, confidence and a load of US equipment courtesy of the Afghan army. 

Not saying they'll be successful but with a bit of help from AQ - who I'm sure will be arriving shortly - I don't think they'll stay in Afghanistan.

Apparently they are not happy with the Chinese treatment of Uighurs. So perhaps they will go after the Chinese (the Pakistan branch of the Taliban recently killed around 10 Chinese contractors they got their hands on).

Er, so are Pakistan friends with the Taliban . . .

4 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Pakistan should take a lot of blame for the situation they have been giving the Taliban free border access for years ,another dodgy Ally  along with Turkey . 

. . . or not . . . ?

4 hours ago, butlers said:

Read a proper loopy post the other day that the Taliban will now march south and take Pakistan's nuclear weapons.

5 hours ago, geared said:

I'm sure they know it all too well, thats why they're actively suppressing it.

You won't have much luck running a totalitarian regime if your country is full of intelligent, free-thinkers.  They'll organise themselves and rise up.

By forcing all women into confinement they've removed a big chunk of opposition, leaving them to concentrate on beating the remaining men into submission.

Yes I think you are right.

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

Apparently they are not happy with the Chinese treatment of Uighurs. So perhaps they will go after the Chinese (the Pakistan branch of the Taliban recently killed around 10 Chinese contractors they got their hands on).

Now this is an interesting development.

China has been aggressively implementing its territorial ambitions (witness the recent conflicts in Hong Kong, coupled with China's wish to control more of the South China Sea), but will the Taliban want to start a conflict with China, or keep China as a local ally?

Western countries will be unwilling to trade with the Taliban (until it becomes in our economic interest to do so), therefore I'd expect the Taliban to keep a wealthy and aggressive China onside - but I will admit that I'm viewing this through a Western mindset.

Another thing. The taliban have reportedly been preventing distribution of the Covid vaccines. If so the whole country could become a petri dish for mutations which could spread straight across the border to their mates in Pakistan and onwards to the rest of the world.

2 hours ago, The Joker said:

Now this is an interesting development.

China has been aggressively implementing its territorial ambitions (witness the recent conflicts in Hong Kong, coupled with China's wish to control more of the South China Sea), but will the Taliban want to start a conflict with China, or keep China as a local ally?

Western countries will be unwilling to trade with the Taliban (until it becomes in our economic interest to do so), therefore I'd expect the Taliban to keep a wealthy and aggressive China onside - but I will admit that I'm viewing this through a Western mindset.

They look to be pretty chummy at the moment.

wbe7z48.jpg

I think it says alot when the Chinese were already sitting down with the Taliban, they knew how this was all going to end.

Edited by geared

The head of US army Central Command  , has met with the Taliban.

He also told them any attempt to disrupt the evacuation would result a heavy US response.

I believe he is in Qutar ,where the Taliban had talks with the former Afghan government last year.

What was it John Simpson said think it likely was someone else's quote " you can't buy an Afghani only hire them"

After WWII, the allies had a presence in Germany to ensure that the former regime's supporters didn't have a chance to regroup.  75 years on, despite the fact that we're all 'mates' now, the UK & US still retain a presence there. 

Biden was warned by his generals that if they walked away from Afghanistan, this would happen but the Taliban's takeover has been far faster than expected.  The generals argued for keeping a reduced number of service personnel to prevent Afghanistan from becoming distabilised & going back to how things were 20 years ago, was dismissed by Biden. 

We all know how this is going to pan out, don't we?  The Taliban will / have promised to maintain law & respect all the rights of citizens that have been built up over the last 20 years, until of course those rights conflict with Sharia Law.  Behind the scenes, (denied by the Taliban hierarchy), individuals & groups will be singled out for persecution, torture & execution.  Stories will leak out of Afghanistan about atrocities & the West will wring its hands & the UN talking shop will hopelessly discuss. 

Despite denials, Afghanistan will become a safe house for terrorists & terror attacks, both regional & further afield, will be linked back to the country & the Taliban. 

The West / the UN / NATO  will decide that military action is required & within 2 years, it'll be boots on the ground & having to fight our way back in again.