Who went to St Wilfreds RC School

bhoy

Wow that brings back some rotten memories, O'Hara was a head case and got his kicks from hurting kids. I remeber Ms Pollard also who if I remember correctly had a habit of whacking you on the back of the hand with a ruler as she marched up and down the rows.We also had do act out the Nativity each year and all the kids who were at the 'low end' got all the crap bits but the kids from Dore and Totley got the staring roles.

I went to St.Wilfred's school in the Vestry Hall, Meesbrook and also when it moved to Gleadless Road, Heely Green. I remember all the teachers previously mentioned. I was the lad who was caned for bunking off school with Peter xxx in previous threads to watch

cricket. We were also caned (severely!) after attending the local United/ Wednesday derby mid-week Cup replay. (Wednesday won ) Unfortunately for us, a photograph of us cheering Wednesday on behind the goalpost was in the local paper and seen (ofcourse) by Mr O'Hara. We denied it (ofcourse) and after he produced the evidence we he proceeded to knock seven bells out of us. Quite right. The other lad was Brian Pxxx who was also soundly thrashed. Happy days!!

Hi all. happened to stumble upon this thread accidentally but glad I did... Another chance to look back over my school years..( See denby street thread)

I have some memories of st Wilfrids. the late Mr simmerson I knew well and Miss Simmerson. Mr Griffiths. Anyone remember mrs Jones??? mrs Harrigan.. and mrs capps.(died recently. xxxxx

I was there late 80s

Anyone remember the air raid shelter and black dog???? get back to me if you do . thanks

• 1 month later...
I went to St.Wilfred's school in the Vestry Hall, Meesbrook and also when it moved to Gleadless Road, Heely Green. I remember all the teachers previously mentioned. I was the lad who was caned for bunking off school with Peter xxx in previous threads to watch

cricket. We were also caned (severely!) after attending the local United/ Wednesday derby mid-week Cup replay. (Wednesday won ) Unfortunately for us, a photograph of us cheering Wednesday on behind the goalpost was in the local paper and seen (ofcourse) by Mr O'Hara. We denied it (ofcourse) and after he produced the evidence we he proceeded to knock seven bells out of us. Quite right. The other lad was Brian Pxxx who was also soundly thrashed. Happy days!!

Hi Len,

Are you still in Sheffield? Happy memories of St W's, despite a few strokes. It would be good to meet up again.

Peter

Miss Gharity was a sweet young teacher at St Vincents when I knew her she taught my brother in the infants. He thought she was wonderful.

I went to school with Maureen Simmerson who was in my class at Notre Dame as were one or two of the girls names mentioned and met her brother a young boy of about 18.

Seems odd how much life has changed some.

hazel

Kicking the football over the fence and having to sneak out of school to go round the gardens of the houses to get it back , glourious sunny days for the sports days with the ice cream man parked at the top of the big grass banking in the corner of the field , the cane :( , mrs sherwood when you felt ill

I could go on and on wish i could start again and go back to those days :(

Hi Len,

Are you still in Sheffield? Happy memories of St W's, despite a few strokes. It would be good to meet up again.

Peter

Hello Peter, I moved to Northumberland in 1967 but I still visit relatives and friends whenever I can. I would like to meet up with you when I next come to Sheffield to go over old times at school. I hated it at the time but it is starting to look better as I get older!

If you want to phone me or me to phone you just let me know your number.

I heard that Brian P. is living in Cyprus.I knew him when he had nowt!

Kind regards, Len

Hello Peter, I moved to Northumberland in 1967 but I still visit relatives and friends whenever I can. I would like to meet up with you when I next come to Sheffield to go over old times at school. I hated it at the time but it is starting to look better as I get older!

If you want to phone me or me to phone you just let me know your number.

I heard that Brian P. is living in Cyprus.I knew him when he had nowt!

Kind regards, Len

Hi Len,

Here's another time off school and a couple of strokes! 2nd February 1952.

King George VI died and we were at Bramall Lane to see Sheffield United paly West Ham in an FA cup replay. There was doubt if the match would be played. It was and the Blades won 4-2. Yes I remember Brian P. His sister Maureen lived next door to my Aunt for quite a while

Yes it would be good to make contact. you know my name all one word

pxxxxxxxxx@talktalk.net :)

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have recently found a school photo taken in Meersbrook Park , 1950 (approx). Miss O'Reardons class. If you think you might be on it I can forward a copy. After over 55 years, LenF and I have met up.