20,000 Afghan Refugees Coming To The Uk.

11 hours ago, trastrick said:

What is life for. A good question.

My personal philosophy is to try to leave the World a better place than I found it.

I would imagine we share at least that view.

But you and I differ on the ways that can be accomplished. So do many others.

The world is full of people who insist on telling others how they should run their lives, but mostly they are rich. and are incapable of  following their own advice. That's the major problem.

The problem with advocates of wealth distribution is that they want to distribute other peoples wealth, not their own.

Talk is cheap! Politicians, celebritiies and religious leaders, purporting to help the poor, are first helping themselves. Just look at how they live. Even the World's most venerable "friend of the poor", the Pope, leads an opulent, ostentatious, luxurious lifestyle in his own palace that ancient Emperors could only dream of.

Obama lives in a $multimillion estate up in Martha's Vineyard,  and Pelosi likewise in her Sonoma Valley  Vineyard estate.

As far as possible away from their voters.  I call it the ultimate in "social distancing", Lol

They are the privileged ones, who tell the sheep what they want to hear, so they never have to face a Bernie Sanders crowd, or a BLM march around their homes, demanding equality! Lol

And you are free to donate all of your worldly goods, to the starving masses around the world, they will probably fall into the hands of their corrupt government, but you have no right to demand that of others.

And finally a skilled brain surgeon will never accept a goverment mandate, that she be paid no more than a hotel maid.

Interesting post. And yes I agree that we should leave the world a better place than we found it, and that the rich b******s running the world are total hypocrites. 

As for wealth distribution, I believe a decent, honest and well regulated tax system is the best means of wealth redistribution there is but it is imperative that it is administered correctly. I would be happy if the rich b*******s paid all the tax they should, and even at the same rate as you and me as long as it was  without recourse to tax havens, tax avoidance schemes, tax dodging etc. People who pay a hell of a lot of tax have a hell of a lot of money. 

The tax collected and could be used to even things up via infrastructure, education, healthcare etc. Part of the contract is that it be spent wisely for the benefit of all. 

The problem is the system / situation has become so corrupt that the wealth gap is now huge, skewing everything. 

Most people don't want to be super rich, they just want a decent home and enough money to pay their way without all the worry and anxiety of never having enough, preferably with a bit left over for a few of life's little luxuries. As neoliberalism takes over the world,  instead it becomes a dog eat dog race with everyone  having to claw their way to the top by hook or by crook for fear of being left behind in dire circumstances.  

Edited by Anna B

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Interesting post. And yes I agree that we should leave the world a better place than we found it, and that the rich b******s running the world are total hypocrites. 

As for wealth distribution, I believe a decent, honest and well regulated tax system is the best means of wealth redistribution there is but it is imperative that it is administered correctly. I would be happy if the rich b*******s paid all the tax they should, and even at the same rate as you and me as long as it was  without recourse to tax havens, tax avoidance schemes, tax dodging etc. People who pay a hell of a lot of tax have a hell of a lot of money. 

The tax collected and could be used to even things up via infrastructure, education, healthcare etc. Part of the contract is that it be spent wisely for the benefit of all. 

The problem is the system / situation has become so corrupt that the wealth gap is now huge, skewing everything. 

Most people don't want to be super rich, they just want a decent home and enough money to pay their way without all the worry and anxiety of never having enough, preferably with a bit left over for a few of life's little luxuries. As neoliberalism takes over the world,  instead it becomes a dog eat dog race with everyone  having to claw their way to the top by hook or by crook for fear of being left behind in dire circumstances.  

Nail on the head , These stalwarts of society who make millions in the UK , yet live in Tax havens so as not to pay their fare share should be stripped of their knighthood and shamed by the Government , instead they are lorded and handed titles by our system . 

7 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I know that some are in a hotel by Derek Dooley Way/Wicker. Where do you imagine they will ultimately end up being housed? It will be all the usual ghetto's, at arms length from the goodie-goodie's  in Hallam who wanted them here.

You have evidence for this claim?

9 minutes ago, butlers said:

Of course not.

If they were put in accommodation somewhere  leafy that would just lead to a different moan .

Tiresome

Yes, some people (posters) are, but the ones that make claims without back-up, just for the sake of it, annoy me.

I'm waiting to see where they are accommodated - if that information is publicly available, and the claims such as that by @HumbleNarrator, can then be addressed.

On 25/08/2021 at 10:51, HumbleNarrator said:

Within Sheffield certain areas that are home to most of the "refugees-are-welcome" brigade should take their fare share of refugees instead of them being dumped on all the usual places.

ARE YOU LISTENING DORE AND TOTLEY, BEAUCHIEF,  MILLHOUSES ,ETC??  lets build some refugee centres in your areas for a change eh?

The real reason Hallam Tower was demolished was so that it couldn't be used as a refugee holding place. 

I don't know about Hallam Towers, but as more and more refugees and immigrants come into the country, they will take their rightful place in government office, and  also have to meet the challenges housing shortages for the new immigrants, the poor, and the homeless.

I don't see those enclaves of the rich one percenters being safe from diverse development.

And how long can that gem of Sheffield, The Peak district, with towns like , Hathersage, Castleton, Grindleford,  Bakewell, etc, remain exclusive.

I'm still P.O'd about that local gem known to us snotty nosed Heeley urchins, as  Cat Lane, Far Lees, and Rollin Woods where we roamed and learned about nature (and life, Lol).

It was razed in favor of Gleadless Valley, where later, ironically, I was to contribute to it's development, as an electrician for Holiday, Hall, and Stinson on the building site.

But you can't stop "progress".

Toad's Mouth Flats, anyone?

Edited by trastrick

4 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I don't see those enclaves of the rich one percenters being safe from diverse development.

And how long can that gem of Sheffield, The Peak district, with towns like , Hathersage, Castleton, Grindleford,  Bakewell, etc, remain exclusive.

"Safe from diverse development" - Uggh. Yes, yes, I know you think Muslims are bad people.

The thing that keeps Peak villages exclusive are high property prices butressed by tight planning restrictions and sod the great unwashed masses, refugees or otherwise, who would like better housing in a nicer environment but find they cannot afford it.