Sheaf View Heeley Arson Attack

Used to frequent the place many years ago, didn't have a spirits licence back then and I'm sure the place wasn't as big.

Lucky no one lost their life, 

We used the Earl of Arundel more,

Pool & Snooker tables, good selection of Whisky's and a decent pint of Wards.

Happy Daze

Just wracked my Brain (could you smell burning?)

Earl of Arundel, Down Skellies Bridge (tunnel) up t' Sheaf View, down road t'  Bridge,

(wasn't that a Wards house as well?) up to Royal for last orders, across t' Star of Asia 

for a Vindaloo back home, job's a good un.

Happy Daze,

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Used to frequent the place many years ago, didn't have a spirits licence back then and I'm sure the place wasn't as big.

Lucky no one lost their life, 

We used the Earl of Arundel more,

Pool & Snooker tables, good selection of Whisky's and a decent pint of Wards.

Happy Daze

Just wracked my Brain (could you smell burning?)

Earl of Arundel, Down Skellies Bridge (tunnel) up t' Sheaf View, down road t'  Bridge,

(wasn't that a Wards house as well?) up to Royal for last orders, across t' Star of Asia 

for a Vindaloo back home, job's a good un.

Happy Daze,

Here's some TripAdvisor pictures of the Sheaf View. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186364-d6034196-i210893618-The_Sheaf_View-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

Hope its not out of action for long?  A good place to drink & chat. 

You're right with your journey from the Earl of Arundel, (closed as a pub a good 15 years ago I'd say & now a bicycle shop).  The Bridge, down from the Sheaf View, that went a good decade ago & the premises is now a company that sells floor covering. 

Can you remember what the Sheaf View was previously called?   I'm sure it was the something Arms?  

Edited by Baron99

33 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Here's some TripAdvisor pictures of the Sheaf View. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186364-d6034196-i210893618-The_Sheaf_View-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

You're right with your journey from the Earl of Arundel, (closed as a pub a good 15 years ago I'd say & now a bicycle shop).  The Bridge, down from the Sheaf View, that went a good decade ago & the premises is now a company that sells floor covering. 

Can you remember what the Sheaf View was previously called?   I'm sure it was the something Arms?  

Found some pic's of the fire damage & prior to it.

I can only remember walking into the small front bar so take it the larger room was an extension at some point?

With no Liquor licence (Whisky drinker) it was only somewhere we'd call in on't way to Heeley Bottom or the round trip back home.

There's a good chance it was my fault so many pubs in that area shut 15 year ago- I stopped drinking in 2005 :hihi:

We didn't come down from Scotland till the 60's and it was the Sheaf View then. 

This pic and one like it are from the 1930's and it was the Sheaf View then.

Nice to see the Terrace houses still attached.

With Taggy's just up the road I'm surprised the lads in the pick ain't all got a cone a piece.

7f121802e1a6f8f80b1c3a560faa5302.jpg

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Interesting thread about the Sheaf View on the Sheffield History website.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/18695-sheaf-view-hotel-heeley/

Looks like its always been the Sheaf View (Hotel).

5 hours ago, Longcol said:

I'd have sworn blind it was calle something else during the late 80's / early 90's? 

It was, as Rockers Rule says, a much smaller pub, literally one long room with a bar.  Think at that time it was run by a middle aged couple called Ron & Sue and the name at that time was something Arms.  After they left in the mid 1990's it became derelict for years until taken over by the Canadian guy, James in the mid 2000's.

Edited by Baron99

6 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I'd have sworn blind it was calle something else during the late 80's / early 90's? 

It was, as Rockers Rule says, a much smaller pub, literally one long room with a bar.  Think at that time it was run by a middle aged couple called Ron & Sue and the name at that time was something Arms.  After they left in the mid 1990's it became derelict for years until taken over by the Canadian guy, James in the mid 2000's.

Sue Roberts.

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

Thank you Longcol, Very interesting read.

My time frame was around the early to mid 70's and hampered by the fact the place had no liquor licence.

Can't remember the off sales but can remember a few pubs that did.

Sunday lunch, pub before dinner, bring back a couple of large pop bottles full of beer.

Happy Daze.

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I always had the feeling you weren't welcome if you asked for Whisky, almost as if you were casting aspersions about the quality of their beer :nono:

We moved out of Sheff in 89 and (probably wrong) cant remember the place being 'derelict'.

Just looked on Google maps, and noticed the Shakspeare is called 'the Brothers Arms'.

We did have a drive around Heeley btm t'other month including trying to drive up Gleadless rd only to find your now routed down Well rd which must make sense to some city planner somewhere :confused:. (& not the shop owners at Heely Green)

Although looking on G/Maps most of the shops look derelict. (couldn't believe the Bingo hall had gone)

With having a strange thing for 3 wheelers I remember Saccomando's  on Wilson place well.

Keep safe.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

4 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Thank you Longcol, Very interesting read.

My time frame was around the early to mid 70's and hampered by the fact the place had no liquor licence.

Can't remember the off sales but can remember a few pubs that did.

Sunday lunch, pub before dinner, bring back a couple of large pop bottles full of beer.

Happy Daze.

I always had the feeling you weren't welcome if you asked for Whisky, almost as if you were casting aspersions about the quality of their beer :nono:

We moved out of Sheff in 89 and (probably wrong) cant remember the place being 'derelict'.

Just looked on Google maps, and noticed the Shakspeare is called 'the Brothers Arms'.

We did have a drive around Heeley btm t'other month including trying to drive up Gleadless rd only to find your now routed down Well rd which must make sense to some city planner somewhere :confused:. (& not the shop owners at Heely Green)

Although looking on G/Maps most of the shops look derelict. (couldn't believe the Bingo hall had gone)

With having a strange thing for 3 wheelers I remember Saccomando's  on Wilson place well.

Keep safe.

My bold. 

Think it's a generational thing.  Many still call it The Shakey. 

It's own by a number of the Heavily Pregnant Brothers group, including Radio Sheffield's Toby Foster & Artist Pete McKee, I believe?