Social Care - Increase Tax Or Not.

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The rise in NI is expected to raise an extra £12 billion a year meaning it will take at least five years to fund the extra £60 billion needed for just the first year of the pandemic. There will be a general election in less than five years when  all political parties will publish new manifestos. If the electorate are not happy with the Tory tax policies then they will have an opportunity to vote for a different political party at the next general election.  The rise in NI will only be 'permanent' should the electorate choose to vote for a political party who will keep the rise in NI at the next general election.

I don’t think we are planning to pay the pandemic costs off in just five years. So the rest of your post is irrelevant.

I’ll ask again. What was Johnson’s original plan for solving the Social Csre problem?

My wife’s first cousin who is a resident of North Carolina, along with her American husband have moved into a hotel type care facility, the photos don’t look anything special and the food is poor. The staff are poorly paid Latinos and the annual cost for the pair of them is $60,000.

Edited by crookesey

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I never suggested the pandemic cost will be paid in just five year because the extra cost needed to fund the department of health and social care is just a fraction of the unforeseen  expenditure needed to fund the consequences of the pandemic. It's a reality big tax increases are needed to fund the repayment of the massive amount of borrowing that has been required to fund the pandemic.  It will be interesting as the next general election gets nearer what the Labour party intend to do regarding taxation if they were to form the next government.

I've no idea what Boris Johnson's original plan for solving the pre covid Social Care problem was and have no interest because it's now irrelevant. 

His dishonesty is still relevant.

I agree that tax rises are inevitable. I do t think that raising NI is the correct thing to do though. Much fairer to raise income tax, possible in all three bands.

It would make sense to first address the corruption and ineptitude of those in power who are making decisions; before we let them **** up things even further make any more big changes with social care etc.

I really do think the that's the bigger problem; you need to have capable intelligent people in place making the right decisions that are in the best interests of the general public. We totally don't have that; what we have instead more resembles the muppet show.

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

Does that include bed and board or is that extra on top, as it is at some homes? Beware, you sometimes don't realise it until the bill comes in..

Thats all in. The dementia care is also included such as it is.

When I first heard of the new proposals the lifetime maximum of £80,000 seemed a good deal . . . however...

Now that the dust is beginning to settle and the fine print excludes 'board and lodge' I suspect it won't be worth much. Of course the cost of what the Government will actually pay for is not known and I'm not holding my breath.

More smoke and mirrors from the Conservatives.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Brexit is democratic choice for the whole of the UK and the pandemic is not a democrat choice or something which was budgeted for in any political party's manifesto for the December 2019 general election.

Neither was Brexit in the Scots independence referendum, since it was explicitly promised that a vote to remain would mean continued EU membership.

The problems with social care pre-date the pandemic.

Your claim is more relevant to Scots independence than it is for social care! :?

On 05/09/2021 at 10:01, Anna B said:

There is currently a huge crisis in just about every aspect of social care.

40 + years ago  it was all part of the NHS, delivered in house, free at the point of use and worked well.  However since huge swathes of it have been privatised under the Tories, it's been getting progressively worse for years and years and is prohibitively expensive to the users. 

Now a residential/care home can easily cost more than £1,000 a week

It was stated on radio four that the UK now raises the most from taxes in 70 years, so much for the Conservatives favouring low taxes. Still more tax rises on their way. Dishy Rishy has said increases in the corporation tax (CT) rate from 19% to 25% with effect from 1 April 2023.  Vote Conservative and get tax increases!

52 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

Thats all in. The dementia care is also included such as it is.

When I first heard of the new proposals the lifetime maximum of £80,000 seemed a good deal . . . however...

Now that the dust is beginning to settle and the fine print excludes 'board and lodge' I suspect it won't be worth much. Of course the cost of what the Government will actually pay for is not known and I'm not holding my breath.

More smoke and mirrors from the Conservatives.

If it doesn't include Bed and Board, you can bet care homes bosses will exploit that little loop hole, and it leaves it open again for them to charge ridiculous amounts for very little.

The care aspect is often poor because of understaffing by minimum waged staff, so it leaves me wondering exactly what we will be paying for.

I'd like to see a breakdown of costs, but it's never possible to get one.   

7 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It was stated on radio four that the UK now raises the most from taxes in 70 years, so much for the Conservatives favouring low taxes. Still more tax rises on their way. Dishy Rishy has said increases in the corporation tax (CT) rate from 19% to 25% with effect from 1 April 2023.  Vote Conservative and get tax increases!

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

My wife’s first cousin who is a resident of North Carolina, along with her American husband have moved into a hotel type care facility, the photos don’t look anything special and the food is poor. The staff are poorly paid Latinos and the annual cost for the pair of them is $60,000.

We always copy the American model. Heaven knows why! It has one of the worst systems in the world regarding health and social care for the poorest. The Scandinavians on the other hand do a much better job but we never even hear about them, much less look to how they do it.

As El Cid says we pay enough tax one way or another, but it's squandered on vanity projects and out and out corruption.