Social Care - Increase Tax Or Not.

OK I await and expect the angry replies.

I recently viewed an episode of ‘Escape To The Country’ where a married couple consisting of a couple of very young medics, one a NHS doctor, the other a NHS dentist. They were looking for something costing up to £1,500,000 whilst moving from something a lot less expensive. I wondered how much we pay young medics these days.

9 minutes ago, crookesey said:

OK I await and expect the angry replies.

I recently viewed an episode of ‘Escape To The Country’ where a married couple consisting of a couple of very young medics, one a NHS doctor, the other a NHS dentist. They were looking for something costing up to £1,500,000 whilst moving from something a lot less expensive. I wondered how much we pay young medics these days.

for a start whats it got to do with their job?? maybe they had an inheritance or the price of their last home made a lot of money? even with only a 50% deposit am sure they are quite capable on decent salaries of prob circa 95k to 120k each , worth every penny i say.

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

social care and welfare could be paid for quite easily by 2 things, cease all foreign aid especially to countries like india and pakistan, stop all illegal immigration at source i.e France although there seems to be some inroads there.

Let's not make wildly inaccurate guesses in order to promote a political view.

The Social Care cost was £18 billion before the cuts with Yorkshire and East Midlands receiving the least. IFS

The Overseas Aid bill for India and Pakistan was £413 million in  2019 HM Gov.

Nearly 30% of the Overseas aid bill is for Humanitarian and Health

The rest is used to:

promote British economic interests

creating infrastructure in failing states

promote British security interests

promote British political interests

The source of immigration is not France it is the country of origin.

16 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Let's not make wildly inaccurate guesses in order to promote a political view.

The Social Care cost was £18 billion before the cuts with Yorkshire and East Midlands receiving the least. IFS

The Overseas Aid bill for India and Pakistan was £413 million in  2019 HM Gov.

Nearly 30% of the Overseas aid bill is for Humanitarian and Health

The rest is used to:

promote British economic interests

creating infrastructure in failing states

promote British security interests

promote British political interests

The source of immigration is not France it is the country of origin.

Just to complete the answer to the quote,

how much are the people landing on the southern shores costing the UK each year.

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

for a start whats it got to do with their job?? maybe they had an inheritance or the price of their last home made a lot of money? even with only a 50% deposit am sure they are quite capable on decent salaries of prob circa 95k to 120k each , worth every penny i say.

Thanks for that, I just wondered what salaries the NHS paid young doctors and dentists, that’s what it has to do with their job.

26 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Like everyone else it depends on how long before they become tax payers.

Indeed. Treating people with kindness and compassion is usually far more productive in the long run, than treating them with meanness and resentment.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Thanks for that, I just wondered what salaries the NHS paid young doctors and dentists, that’s what it has to do with their job.

NHS employment contracts are in the main 37,5 hours per week. 

A Band 5 nurse,  (usually the starting point after qualifying, would get £24,907 per annum, working in England, slightly more working in Scotland. 

A 1st year junior doctor would get £28,243 per annum.  Other medical professionals, such as 1st year occupational therapist, £24,504 per annum. 

Going back to the radio debate I was listening to this morning.  Someone called in saying they worked for the NHS & was referring to the non-medical jobs in hospital Trusts.  They said every Trust would have such as a Diversity & Inclusion team these days & the head of such teams would be in a senior management role with an appropriate salary of around £70,000.

Another individual who wanted to remain anonymous, stated that they worked in NHS Procurement.  They stated that the cost of a box of paracetamol, charged to an NHS Trust would probably be in the region of £12 but you could pick a similar sized box up via the Internet for a couple of pounds.  This is because the NHS is tied into a series of contracts & agreements made years ago & if the NHS breaks such agreements, the Trusts face being sued.  

12 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

NHS employment contracts are in the main 37,5 hours per week. 

A Band 5 nurse,  (usually the starting point after qualifying, would get £24,907 per annum, working in England, slightly more working in Scotland. 

A 1st year junior doctor would get £28,243 per annum.  Other medical professionals, such as 1st year occupational therapist, £24,504 per annum. 

Going back to the radio debate I was listening to this morning.  Someone called in saying they worked for the NHS & was referring to the non-medical jobs in hospital Trusts.  They said every Trust would have such as a Diversity & Inclusion team these days & the head of such teams would be in a senior management role with an appropriate salary of around £70,000.

Another individual who wanted to remain anonymous, stated that they worked in NHS Procurement.  They stated that the cost of a box of paracetamol, charged to an NHS Trust would probably be in the region of £12 but you could pick a similar sized box up via the Internet for a couple of pounds.  This is because the NHS is tied into a series of contracts & agreements made years ago & if the NHS breaks such agreements, the Trusts face being sued.  

Procurement is a big problem. A set of process cards (used in rehabilitation) cost NHS £48 per set. 

I bought an identical set for £3.99 from an online company. 

And we've all heard of the extortionate prices charged for PPI during the pandemic...

Overcharging for goods and services is rife in the NHS, they really are seen as a cash cow.

Who is responsible for these outdated contracts that tie down the NHS, and why don't they contain a release  clause/time limit?

Edited by Anna B