Sheffield in the 80s

Ah the 1980's. 1983 was my year, 16 & just left school.

I remember the 2p busfares & phonecalls, hole in the road.

But my best memories were Vickers nightclub, rara skirts & batwing tops. Ribena shoes from the market & X clothes.

I use to go to town with 37p, 2p my bus fare there, get half a beer from the Bario (remember the pub), get a few drinks bought me, then wipe of my make up & hope to get the bus back for 2p & be questioned by the bus driver about why I was out so late.

Originally posted by dynamicdebz

Ah the 1980's. 1983 was my year, 16 & just left school.

I remember the 2p busfares & phonecalls, hole in the road.

But my best memories were Vickers nightclub, rara skirts & batwing tops. Ribena shoes from the market & X clothes.

I use to go to town with 37p, 2p my bus fare there, get half a beer from the Bario (remember the pub), get a few drinks bought me, then wipe of my make up & hope to get the bus back for 2p & be questioned by the bus driver about why I was out so late.

I wore the same type of clothes back then.I loved the eighties those were my free and single days when i didnt have a care in the world.:)

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Jon

did u go to bradleys records to buy your iron maiden singles in red vinyl :wink:

record shops i remember in the 80's were

bradleys records on fargate and chapel walk - before i was into punk i was into adam and the ants and used to buy all the records from there with my spending money, i remember buying the reissued young parisians 7" and friend or foe album on cassette, but i think i got all the albums / singles from bradleys

amazing records (first 2nd hand record shop i bought from back in about 1985 ish) i remember buying crass - reality asylum and gbh - sick boy 7"s from there, didnt it later move to leeds, also got done for bootlegs i think i heard.

virgin records on the high street, bought loads from there

that small shop that was further up from virgin on the high street, was down a short alleyway near the number 52 bus stop

warp (obviously) used to shop in it when it was across the road on division street and called fon, all the punk albums were upstairs, up some rickety wooden steps (always remmeber they had the dead kennedys - skateboard party lp but sadly never bought it :( i used to know the owners of fon / warp and quite a few peope who worked there including Winston parrot (? or was that both of em? i know one went off to form all seeing eye, i knew the black guy, soul dj)

the little 2nd hand shop on the gallery above the markets, where you had to dodge the skinheads - we got chased once through the markets but my mate froggy had a word, and they never did again :)

hitsville and kennys spin off shop kennys records - i believe the owners of hitsville wernt too happy about kennys new venture cos he left them with a bad back, next minute he had his own 2nd hand shop :P used to love buying the 10p singles from those and the 50p / £1 albums, got some rare stuff from those boxes :)

record collector always had a nice cheap lp sale on :)

jacks records i knew the bloke who ran it, me and a mate once got given a record each for helping to price his punk singes up, still look in the record collector mag to see what they are still selling, mind u they aint been advertising in it for ages, jacks still around?

there was also a good record shop down off the far end of london road ......play it again, thats was excellent.

wasnt hmv on fargate before it moved to near the peace gardens and the high street?

also a guy i knew at college had a small shop later on, it was upstairs above a clothes shop on the corner of cambridge street?, opposite cole brothers, and next to the car park across from the city hall

hey, kenny's records!

some happy memories there, melthebell, in the late eighties, collecting all of thin lizzy's albums for about two quid each...

....and slade albums were even cheaper, given that they were even more unfashionable now than they were then!

:)

Originally posted by Damon

There is a photo of this very occasion in Mark Sturdey's book about Pulp, and also in Martin Lilleker's book on the Sheffield music scene. I don't think the stunt was to promote Pulp - it was to promote some other ramshackle gathering of Sheffield musos that did include Jarvis and Steve Genn. If I recall correctly, the photo shows them in dressing gowns eating breakfast in the middle of Fargate, though they could well have been in the Peace Gardens too.

thanks for that, i couldn't figure out why steve genn was in on it! :)

Originally posted by pete_fcs

hey, kenny's records!

....and slade albums were even cheaper, given that they were even more unfashionable now than they were then!

:)

i remmeber winning a slade lp at the fair, i think it was high hazels or maybe endcliffe park?

it was sladest and when i really got into music they WERE unfashionable so i gave it my younger sister to destroy :)

oh another record shop i forgot was rare and racy, used to love that shop, i remember all the psychik tv records, hearing the tibetan monk cds and thinking hm wouldnt mind some of that for when im smashed :

also wasnt the owner once done for dope and there was an lp made to fund his defence?

i cant remember the band now, i can picture the sleeve tho, red and white? - pete will know which one :)

Originally posted by melthebell

i remmeber winning a slade lp at the fair, i think it was high hazels or maybe endcliffe park?

it was sladest and when i really got into music they WERE unfashionable so i gave it my younger sister to destroy :)

oh another record shop i forgot was rare and racy, used to love that shop, i remember all the psychik tv records, hearing the tibetan monk cds and thinking hm wouldnt mind some of that for when im smashed :

also wasnt the owner once done for dope and there was an lp made to fund his defence?

i cant remember the band now, i can picture the sleeve tho, red and white? - pete will know which one :)

melthebell, the defence lp might have been released by mighty sheffield records and called vinyl virgins, in 1988/9, featuring pschoterrorists etc.

this is only a guess, going on the description of the cover!

i thought sladest was one of slade's best albums! if you see it on cd in a bargain bin, snap it up! you might like it again!

nah the album was an early 80s album, by pressure or somebody?, local sheffield band i think, maybe leeds? *gets ready to run* it was called solidarity or something

just had a look in my record collector price bible :P

it could be pressure co (caberet voltaires spin off band) theres a live in sheffield 82 album, maybe that, not sure, rings a bell though

Archived