Sheffield in the 80s

Tony and Damon,

Amrik Rai was indeed an NME journalist. He famously reviewed a gig [can't remember who] at a venue in Derby and witnesses wrote in to say that he had never strayed from the bar and thus never actually saw the band playing. He was also 'chinned' by ClockDVA leader Adi Newton [Gary Coates] after he savaged a performance by 'the white souls in black suits'. For a while he managed Chakk, before getting involved in FON, alongside my old friend, Alan Fisch. Rai is now a radical Sikh.

Originally posted by melthebell

just had a look in my record collector price bible :P

not sure what it is then...

but while you're in the record collector bible, look up pulp: if their tapes are in there, there's a compilation tape from 1986 with pulp and my old band the f... city sh...ers worth a tenner!

Originally posted by timo

Tony and Damon,

Amrik Rai was indeed an NME journalist. He famously reviewed a gig [can't remember who] at a venue in Derby and witnesses wrote in to say that he had never strayed from the bar and thus never actually saw the band playing. He was also 'chinned' by ClockDVA leader Adi Newton [Gary Coates] after he savaged a performance by 'the white souls in black suits'. For a while he managed Chakk, before getting involved in FON, alongside my old friend, Alan Fisch. Rai is now a radical Sikh.

is this the same amrik who was involved in setting up the republic club in the late nineties?

if so a fellow-band-member of the time threw a pint of beer over him in the rutland!

Pete,

It may well be the same Amrik, but I don't know for sure. He always seemed to have some project or other up his sleeve when I briefly knew him. I played in Chakk rivals, Workforce for a while [sax, percussion, keys, tapes]. Rai interviewed us for NME after our first Peel Session and single, but the NME interview mysteriously never saw the light. I put it down to the fact that he was also the manager of Chakk, and didn't want similar [although more experimental] bands such as Workforce and Hula to steal Chakk's thunder.

The Amrik Rai I knew was dating a very cute part-Polish blonde girl called Barbara [mid to late 1980s]. He was known for developing sudden, intense passions for new hobbies. I recall him [rather improbably] once announcing a great passion for coarse fishing, and he vowed to catch a Pike after witnessing one savage a duck. Strange days...

• 1 year later...

Archived