Sheffield in the 80s

Hey does anyone remember the Junior Star discos? They were held at either Romeo and Juliets, the United ground or for a short while, Dingwalls club. I once won a fiver in one of there disco dancing competitions. I was dancing to Billie Jean by Micheal Jackson. EEEEeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

I progressed onto the Limit club ........ the first proper club i went to at the age of 15. Plastic cups and your feet sticking to the carpet!!

And does anyone remeber Rebina Shoes (not sure if thats spelled right)? A must for all self respecting 80's goths who wore black pointed buckle boots!! It was on a little alleyway off High Street if I remember rightly. And the shop at the top of Cambridge Street that sold all the punk and goth clothes and crazy colour air dye?

Ahhhhhhhhhh, takes me back!!!

Fetish Fairy

The Sidewalk Coffee bar, usually full of Mods. Does anyone remember this ? [ 1960s]

I remember this from the 70s although not full of mods then. My Grandma used to work there:D - free chips, lovely.

Anybody remember Penny's before it was Isabella's, before it was............what is it now........? I think it was Europa last I heard.

I must be getting old, I remember most of these places, especially the Dove and Rainbow, where the walls were wallpapered with pages from the Star and everybody used to stand outside at night (well if it was warmish, anyhow).

The Stonehouse was brilliant, never the same place after they did it up.

Anybody ever been in the Penny Black in Pond Street, and who remembers Roxy's when it was called Steely's??

:D :D

Originally posted by MissEllie

I remember this from the 70s although not full of mods then. My Grandma used to work there:D - free chips, lovely.

Anybody remember Penny's before it was Isabella's, before it was............what is it now........? I think it was Europa last I heard.

I must be getting old, I remember most of these places, especially the Dove and Rainbow, where the walls were wallpapered with pages from the Star and everybody used to stand outside at night (well if it was warmish, anyhow).

The Stonehouse was brilliant, never the same place after they did it up.

Anybody ever been in the Penny Black in Pond Street, and who remembers Roxy's when it was called Steely's??:D :D

must be even older coz i remember all this. Pennys was originally the Penny Farthing and was next to Hoffenbrauhaus bierkeller. i remember the dove and rainbow when it was a huge rectangular bar with little rooms through the back before they knocked it into one and decorated it with pages from the Star (early 70's). Stonehouse was the bizz. maybe we should start a campaign to restore the old courtyard? now that would be something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Originally posted by lyndsay

I miss that hill ridden palce..

I was wondering if any of you old gits saw Durango 95 back themn..

Would like to find : Plague Dogs, an old band, and some others..

OK, Durango wasn't too cool, but we had some storming nights at the LIMIT, Club with 2 brains, and I sorley miss the bash under the city hall... quality town.

Cheers, it's not my kid!!! Max.. aka D'arcy, git, bastid, and others..

hi lynsay

it's pete f..., remember, from the fcs, yes i remember durango 95.... i had the badge and the picture sleeve single from my days at radio sheffield

do you remember any of my old bands.... fcs, nihilistics, ggf, exit, bear cage, coal bros (with rob overdrive), tarana, maniac, slbc, pasc, media prem etc

according to ogi mcgrath dig vis drill i'm a "band slut"!

keep on rockin'

yes, hole in the road had a fish tank. there was a council employee who had to feed 'em everyday. steve mcclarence wrote an article about them/ him/ it in the sheffield telegraph around 1993, around the time they were filling it in in order to take the weight of the supertram.

by the way, they buried hyde park flats in the hole in the road to save money on rubble.

i've got loads of pictures of the place, plus around 3,000 of sheffield which are all scanned and are being prepared for an on-line archive.

Wow this thread has brought back so many memories!

Remember the Golden Egg on Fargate? And the fountain at the top of Fargate? There was a waiter/waitress service Wimpy too.

How about Wilson Pecks? You could listen to music in booths there too and I remember buying my first record there.... Two little boys, Rolf Harris!!!!! This was no 1 for 7 weeks in 1969! I was 5.

What about Cole Brothers? It had a hair dressers and one of the restaurants was silver service!!! On my birthday my mum took me for a Knickerbocker Glory! It was such a treat.

Someone mentioned Bringing it all Back Home on West St. it used to be at Hangingwater traffic lights (now a second hand dress shop) before it moved to West St. I am disabled and had to go to the Children's Hosp loads. My mum would take me to the cafe at Bringing it all Back Home on West St for a piece of Tiger cake after hard visits!!! It made my unpleasant hospital appointments bearable! LOL

And I LOVED the fish in the Hole in the Road. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realised how dangerous the Hole In the Road could be, as a child I just thought it was so cool.

Can anyone remember a hippy shop opposite the travel exec shop near Coles (poss Burgess st?). I used to buy puzzle rings and incense from there.

I'm going to remember things all day now! Sheffield IS great, but there's no doubt in my mind, it WAS great too. I have such happy memories of living here.

Archived