Sheffield in the 80s

Originally posted by mikey

2p wasn't it or was that in thw 70's

I remember 2p bus fare for kids, I think it was early eighties?

Mill Houses wasn't for paddling, it was for being frozen half to death!!!!! That water came straight from a refridgerator:suspect:

How about hanging around the 'Markets'? how boring was that! I remember sitting in the cafe in the Sheaf market surrounded by sparrows and pidgeons trying to nick my sandwich. You were lucky if you didn't get bird droppings in you cup of tea:gag:

yes, fcs was the f... city sh..ters and i was their drummer!

you were lucky if you missed us!

was there a smelly record shop run by an angry old man on norfolk street in 1983? might have been another street but the racks were jam packed with tattered cardboard sleeves, and it wasn't hitsville or that one on the wicker.

Originally posted by Internetowl

and just to add - YOP schemes - almost compulsory - legalised slavery for 25 quid a week - fake promises of jobs at the end - we were just too stupid to realise the next intake of cheap labour would be there instead :)

I was on one of those YTS things, It was a manufactured job to give adults and teenager something to do. Starting Point on the Wicker - what a joke!

the fcs once got nick reynolds to announce on radio sheffield that there would be a guided tour of sheffield by me and lou (fcs guitarist) . we would take people around places in sheffield where "the fcs had practiced, gigged, and generally hung around"!

it went on: "anyone interested can meet pete and lou in the peace gardens tomorrow at one o'clock...and it says here 'bring a bottle (optional)'".

no-one turned up!

radio hallam also once interviewed pulp in the peace gardens when they had breakfast there one morning as a publicity stunt. they were pretty unknown at the time, and i think steve genn (mr morality) is mentioned.... but i thought it was his brother who was in pulp at the time rather than steve. anyone shed any light?

ok i'm off to buy an anorak...

Originally posted by kirky

i used to go to the top rank on a saturday morning 10p on the door...you couldn't move for tank tops and rupert bear trousers......remember being outside once and the bouncer made me take all the seggs out of my shoes before i was allowed in..he said they'd scratch the dance floor......also remember going to ABC cinema saturdays.......think it was called the ABC minors club.

I bet thar looked a reyt clown in that lot........good to see some things in Sheffield haven't changed :D :D :D

Archived