Glassworks Barnsley

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Barnsley have got there centre planning bang on , A market and shopping area concentrated in the place it has always worked .

Sheffield should send its so called Town Planners to learn how the job should be done .

What you mean like condensing the market and shops together into one place?

Last time I looked that's exactly what they've done in the city. It was the entire plan of the new retail quarter and new market hall, which lets not forget, opened way back in 2013.  Something which for some bizarre reason you have done nothing but moan about because it's not in your precious Castlegate.

Seems to me like Barnsley is just playing catch up in the redevelopment game.

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Where abouts in Barnsley is it?

The redeveloped Market Hall. It's on the main street and replaced the old Metropolitan Centre building.  

It's had its soft opening but is still a long way from finished with many of its leisure facility still to be built. Also as with most of these redevelopments, four or five of the shops I have seen on the tenant list are simply moving from other locations in the town including Next,  TK Maxx and SportsDirect.  That's some quite big hole being left elsewhere.  

From what I've seen it is nice enough and a freshening up of the area but I wouldn't be making any special trip to it yet unless you are in town anyway.  It's really not worth it.

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's had its soft opening but is still a long way from finished with many of its leisure facility still to be built. Also as with most of these redevelopments, four or five of the shops I have seen on the tenant list are simply moving from other locations in the town including Next,  TK Maxx and SportsDirect.  That's some quite big hole being left elsewhere.  

The build is finished now, just the cinema, bowling, restaurants, Starbucks etc are still fitting out and will follow over the next few months.  There are plans for the “holes” by the sounds. The new shopping mall is a really good environment though and ties into the existing town nicely.  

The Market Kitchen food court is always worth a trip though!

Edited by Burncross