56 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sheffield forum left wing biased

• Yes
    • No
    • Definitely
    • 50/50

5 hours ago, Conshefsky said:

It wasn't supposed to lol

I have an idea ear why don't we choose 10 people who are independent to read messages and replies and they can decide

You really are a bit dim aren't you, this is an open forum where people can post freely, there is no anti-right wing moderation as far as I can see.

Who hurt you?

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, Findlay said:

How can a discussion forum be biased? It is the people posing the threads who have some question, point or agenda. People from any point of view can reply what they like, within the rules.

The idea the forum has bias is a mixture of:

a) There are more active posters with one political ideology on the forum than there are others, so you see more X-leaning posts

b) The previous moderation team worked to the forum rules and then applied their own set of rules depending upon the moderator, the poster raising the complaint and the poster being complained about

I was once told that I couldn't link to an external site which exposed the names and addresses of the general public even if it was official and in the public domain - the external site was the Sheffield Council building planning application site, which by design has the names of the people putting forward their planning applications and the names of those supporting or arguing against an application. That's the level of moderation and poor understanding of how the Internet works that the forum used to suffer from, and lead me to believe that the previous moderation team didn't really grasp what was going on and would happily just do what posters they liked told them to do.

Just now, the_bloke said:

I was once told that I couldn't link to an external site which exposed the names and addresses of the general public even if it was official and in the public domain - the external site was the Sheffield Council building planning application site, which by design has the names of the people putting forward their planning applications and the names of those supporting or arguing against an application. That's the level of moderation and poor understanding of how the Internet works that the forum used to suffer from, and lead me to believe that the previous moderation team didn't really grasp what was going on and would happily just do what posters they liked told them to do.

That anything to do with left or right wing though - thats just a case of the old mob being a bunch of power hungry numpties.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

That anything to do with left or right wing though - thats just a case of the old mob being a bunch of power hungry numpties.

It is if you consider the idea that certain moderators just employed knee jerk reactions to reports because the report was from their friend that they shared the same political viewpoint as. My gut feel says that nearly all the heavy handed moderation was from one or two mods and was probably based on the reports of one or two posters.

I wonder how many tickets went along the lines of '<insert moderator name> please shut down this thread as it's turning into an argument' after the person raising the ticket caused the argument in the first place..

On 29/09/2021 at 22:18, Conshefsky said:

Like I said the previous owners and mods were how can I put it the amount of blanket bans and direction was erm can think of the word  but the new owners have got of to a good start with the direction and ideas I'm just waiting for the old guard to start with the accusations tbf I'm sure they will pop up sooner or later 

No I just do it because I know it winds up the left gotcha!.....

@max is absolutely correct though, people can be biased, not a forum. I don't think the previous owner cared much either way. ISTR that when Max was a SF moderator he was either scrupulously fair or withdrew from moderating if his bias to the left might show.