Peoples Energy

4 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

Ah right, I certainly hadn't anticipated that they may drop in the future. 

I was aware that on variable rate that my prices could increase and would when the suppliers costs increase, the amount / percentage increase in one go just surprised me, but I appreciate my posts were moaning about it. 

I think a lot of people have been caught out. When I took out a new 18 month contract in February loads of people told me to wait until the summer when prices would come down ( because they always do). I can’t say I thought they would rise like this but simply took out the contract as was happy with the deal and felt prices would more likely rise than fall over the period of the contract and the next contract would be due in the summer.

For what it is worth my view on the near future is more prices increases in April on the variable tariffs, hard to find cheap long term fixes for the next few months and a number of the small energy companies going bust especially those offering good deals as they won’t be able to cover the losses 

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Peoples Energy customers are now going to be supplied by British Gas. There is talk of all the enegy companies, except the big six going bust, a posibility.

I think they expect a few of the smaller ones outside the big 6 to last will depend on what the government do now. 

These small energy companies that are in trouble had poor business plans. They shouldn’t have been allowed to get involved with energy in the first place. They knew what the cap was but chose to ignore it in business you should plan for the worst and hope for the best they only planned for the best.

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

These small energy companies that are in trouble had poor business plans. They shouldn’t have been allowed to get involved with energy in the first place. They knew what the cap was but chose to ignore it in business you should plan for the worst and hope for the best they only planned for the best.

many of them started how many years before the cap. How could they predict the government would interfere in the market to force them to sell gas at a loss?