Peoples Energy

The vast majority of meter readings that are not taken by smart meters will either be done online or by automated phone systems, they will still need people to man call centres regardless of smart meters or not.

Must admit before I had a smart meter I NEVER rang up to verbally give my readings to a human, ever.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

The vast majority of meter readings that are not taken by smart meters will either be done online or by automated phone systems, they will still need people to man call centres regardless of smart meters or not.

Must admit before I had a smart meter I NEVER rang up to verbally give my readings to a human, ever.

So you must conclude that smart meters aren’t cost savers for the providers, I beg to differ but can’t prove my theory.

16 minutes ago, crookesey said:

When the energy markets get down to say, a dozen players, they will increase prices because they can. I see long time deals being the preferred method of payment,

No they will still be subject to price cap.

long term deals are already the preferred method for payment by most as they know that usually it will be cheaper than the standard variable tariffs- now is the exception 

7 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

No they will still be subject to price cap.

long term deals are already the preferred method for payment by most as they know that usually it will be cheaper than the standard variable tariffs- now is the exception 

You are of course correct regarding price caps, but what they might be in a market of less players is anyone’s guess.

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

You are of course correct regarding price caps, but what they might be in a market of less players is anyone’s guess.

Number of players is irrelevant to price cap.

with less players then there will be less competition and less bargain fixed contracts. Or at least better regulation/management to ensure the remaining companies can deliver what they promise.

will be interesting to see if the government give us oldies an increase in the winter fuel subsidy- no I do not need it but it is the sort of gesture politics they might try

4 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Number of players is irrelevant to price cap.

with less players then there will be less competition and less bargain fixed contracts. Or at least better regulation/management to ensure the remaining companies can deliver what they promise.

will be interesting to see if the government give us oldies an increase in the winter fuel subsidy- no I do not need it but it is the sort of gesture politics they might try

With Labour putting all of their eggs in the ‘Public Sector’ basket theTories don’t need to chase senior citizen favour, however they will continue to need funding, what is a price cap today may be different tomorrow.

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

I can’t understand why suppliers don’t give a discount for ‘Smart Meter’ usage and offer ‘save and pay’ schemes for those who have fluctuating earnings.

Last year when my tariff was ending I looked around and there were several tariffs that were only available if you took a smart meter.