Peoples Energy

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

In mine (and my three neighbours) they just don't - no reception at all in the deep cellars.

That was what I was referring to , there are of course some instances where they may be problems - most people do not have deep cellars and in some areas there will be connection problems but assuming they are placed correctly then once they are installed they generally work well

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

This is why I’ve been shirty with them. I had a previous visit, where they decided it wouldn’t work, similar to Rolling J.

When they approached me again, I was told that the “new” model would work. 

Long story short, it doesn’t work. I’ve told them that I don’t work for them and they can send someone to read the meter/ make it work.  Estimated bills it is.

Why even cut your nose off to spite your face here? Either they are going to under estimate your usage and you will have a big catch up bill at some point, or they are going to over estimate your usage and you are going to continually be paying too much.

Takes all of 5 mins to take a reading, log in/email and give them it, if that.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, BigAl1 said:

That was what I was referring to , there are of course some instances where they may be problems - most people do not have deep cellars and in some areas there will be connection problems but assuming they are placed correctly then once they are installed they generally work well

I agree I and my neighbours are possibly in a small minority - but they still don't work, and won't, until the data transmission technology method is improved. BTW, it took 4 months and 5 engineer visits for a friend of mines outside gas meter to function remotely correctly, and it is still temperamental 8 months later.

15 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Why even cut your nose off to spite your face here? Either they are going to under estimate your usage and you will have a big catch up bill at some point, or they are going to over estimate your usage and you are going to continually be paying too much.

Takes all of 5 mins to take a reading, log in/email and give them it, if that.

Indeed and very dangerous in these high price times - just plain stupid

I suppose that it’s the old story, in that folk rarely make a point about something working correctly. I love technology that saves me having to remember to do things and hate it when they go wrong,  so I do understand your annoyance re-smart meters not doing what they should do.

My oldest pal has never had any problem with smart meters but wouldn’t have one in his house, that I cannot understand. But having said that there are things  that have never done me any harm that I refuse to use/subscribe to.

Such is life. 

5 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I suppose that it’s the old story, in that folk rarely make a point about something working correctly. I love technology that saves me having to remember to do things and hate it when they go wrong,  so I do understand your annoyance re-smart meters not doing what they should do.

My oldest pal has never had any problem with smart meters but wouldn’t have one in his house, that I cannot understand. But having said that there are things  that have never done me any harm that I refuse to use/subscribe to.

Such is life. 

Thats fair enough, what I dont understand is then recieving all your billing on estimated readings meaning you are either paying too much now, or too much later. Still, if he has happy to do this and doesnt want to spend the less than 5 minutes every so often providing a reading himself, who are we to argue.

Edited by HeHasRisen