A Worker Is Not Just For Christmas.

3 minutes ago, bassett one said:

but single folks could do the farm jobs,its not rocket science,we have loads of unemployed

Its not that simple

Our place in hospitality has adverts on indeed etc for jobs, weve had 4 people for interview, 3 didnt turn up, 1 got another job 2 days after we offered her the job, last night i posted a video of the boss of a turkey factory speaking they have vacancies, out of 20 they posted up, about 3 people turned up (i cant remember now the exact phrases he used but one wasnt suitable, cant remember how the middle one didnt get the job now, and the 3rd didnt turn up for the interview)

20 hours ago, melthebell said:

Its not that simple

Our place in hospitality has adverts on indeed etc for jobs, weve had 4 people for interview, 3 didnt turn up, 1 got another job 2 days after we offered her the job, last night i posted a video of the boss of a turkey factory speaking they have vacancies, out of 20 they posted up, about 3 people turned up (i cant remember now the exact phrases he used but one wasnt suitable, cant remember how the middle one didnt get the job now, and the 3rd didnt turn up for the interview)

Sounds like you need to pay people more or give them better working conditions or both. 

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sounds like you need to pay people more or give them better working conditions or both. 

There's a big problem in Britain, which is that an employer is not just paying their employee, but also their employee's greedy landlord, their childcare provider, First/Stagecoach shareholders and a number of other gougers and graspers. It's no wonder some of them struggle to offer a wage that pays all of these people.

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

and how do they know what those are like if they dont come to the interview einstein?

i know almost everywhere in hospitality around whitby is the same, everybody needs staff, especially chefs, we aren't unique, same with a local factory, they have vacancies on all 3 shifts which is a first.

Edited by melthebell

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and how do they know what those are like if they dont come to the interview einstein?

i know almost everywhere in hospitality around whitby is the same, everybody needs staff, especially chefs, we aren't unique, same with a local factory, they have vacancies on all 3 shifts which is a first.

You said that you advertised the post. Are the pay and conditions a secret or do potential employees have to just guess if they fancy working for you? You don't need to be Einstein to know that's a really dumb way to attract staff.

When the Minimum Wage first came in I made it known that my hospitality business paid MW+10% + perks to the newest and least skilled workers and we were inundated with people who were working for employers who were bitching about having to pay MW. 

I'm not just a pretty face you know - brains too! :) 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

You said that you advertised the post. Are the pay and conditions a secret or do potential employees have to just guess if they fancy working for you? You don't need to be Einstein to know that's a really dumb way to attract staff.

When the Minimum Wage first came in I made it known that my hospitality business paid MW+10% + perks to the newest and least skilled workers and we were inundated with people who were working for employers who were bitching about having to pay MW. 

I'm not just a pretty face you know - brains too! :) 

that was a while ago now, weve had brexit since then, and too many vacancies is industry wide at present, i posted a turkey factory boss talking the other day in the brexit thread, hes got the same problem (small amount of people turning up for interviews)

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

that was a while ago now, weve had brexit since then, and too many vacancies is industry wide at present, i posted a turkey factory boss talking the other day in the brexit thread, hes got the same problem (small amount of people turning up for interviews)

Does he have the same problem of having crappy pay and conditions and an astounding lack of awareness what people think of his offer?

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Does he have the same problem of having crappy pay and conditions and an astounding lack of awareness what people think of his offer?

you sound just like those idiots in the labour party advocating £15 an hour to solve all problems, where does the £15 an hour come from?

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

you sound just like those idiots in the labour party advocating £15 an hour to solve all problems, where does the £15 an hour come from?

No idea Mel, it's a barmy idea. 

How does that make me sound? 

On topic, are you worth more than £10ph?

1 minute ago, Tony said:

No idea Mel, it's a barmy idea. 

How does that make me sound? 

On topic, are you worth more than £10ph?

ive no idea, its certainly more than minimum wage, its quite unskilled being customer service, not as skilled or in demand as the chef so.....