A Worker Is Not Just For Christmas.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Nothing at all wrong with that or your mate wanting to stay in sunny Australia longer.  British people working abroad don't seem to have an attitude problem unlike many foreigners who come to work in Britain.  Your mate will have been well rewarded for his work and was lucky he got to live in and enjoy Australia for three years.

I'm not a racist but.....

15 hours ago, altus said:

Certainly, and if they pay enough to make the hassles worthwhile I'm sure they'll have no problem finding people.

Ah, well, new week, new hassles .

Under new immigration rules that came into force last Friday (Oct. 1), as part of post-Brexit measures to end freedom of movement, EU nationals now need a passport to enter the United Kingdom, ID cards are no longer accepted.

Why is this a problem? Well, according to data from Calais (2019), only around 17% of HGV drivers showed a passport.

Now, how many drivers are going to get a passport simply to deliver to the UK? How many fruit pickers? Slaughterhouse operators? Care workers? (…)

They had better bump up the pay and extend the lead time some 😉

Edited by L00b

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

How on earth are observations racist?

its not, youve made it up, ive personally worked with foreigners who are perfectly fine, ive worked with brits who have attitude problems, its the person not where they come from.

5 hours ago, L00b said:

Ah, well, new week, new hassles .

Under new immigration rules that came into force last Friday (Oct. 1), as part of post-Brexit measures to end freedom of movement, EU nationals now need a passport to enter the United Kingdom, ID cards are no longer accepted.

Why is this a problem? Well, according to data from Calais (2019), only around 17% of HGV drivers showed a passport.

Now, how many drivers are going to get a passport simply to deliver to the UK? How many fruit pickers? Slaughterhouse operators? Care workers? (…)

They had better bump up the pay and extend the lead time some 😉

Hardly an insurmountable obstacle requiring  migrants to provide a passport if they wish to enter the UK. It hasn't stopped those from outside the EU. 

It makes me wonder how every other country outside the EU manages..

If any foreign drivers do come over will our government be stopping the ruling that says all drivers must return to their registered operators site once every three weeks.   If they don’t stop this rule I don’t see many drivers coming back over     Talking to a few firms recently who used. foreign drivers and they have had no takers so far 

33 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Hardly an insurmountable obstacle requiring  migrants to provide a passport if they wish to enter the UK. It hasn't stopped those from outside the EU. 

It makes me wonder how every other country outside the EU manages..

Oh, very far from me the suggestion that this is an “insurmountable obstacle”. 

Rather, since the UK wants to emergency-(re)import some labour at the minute, moreover on a very short-term basis only, I’m merely pointing out that this (2019 WA-) long-announced Brexit consequence is a little ill-timed, given that it is yet another labour market barrier being reintroduced.

Hey, do you want to save Christmas, or don’t you? 80-odd days to go 😬

Edited by L00b

It's pretty obvious to any reasonable casual observer that HMG has no appetite to (re)import labour. The 5000 three month visas are no more than a pat on the head for people who still haven't got the message that free movement for cheap labour working in slave conditions isn't coming back.

11 hours ago, Tony said:

It's pretty obvious to any reasonable casual observer that HMG has no appetite to (re)import labour. The 5000 three month visas are no more than a pat on the head for people who still haven't got the message that free movement for cheap labour working in slave conditions isn't coming back.

Why is the government “infuriated” at the poor take-up rate (9%), then?

Or is that more performative politics from a government which, seemingly, doesn’t know any other kind?

Asking for a supply chain manager friend tasked with ‘saving Christmas’ 😂

37 minutes ago, L00b said:

Why is the government “infuriated” at the poor take-up rate (9%), then?

Or is that more performative politics from a government which, seemingly, doesn’t know any other kind?

Asking for a supply chain manager friend tasked with ‘saving Christmas’ 😂

You will have to provide a reference for that. I can't imagine that a Government is infuriated at such a thing when it's quite clearly designed to get such a take-up. As a rule, Governments don't get "infuriated" unless they are French.

What on earth has your supply chain manager friend been doing these last five years? They left it a bit late.

Edited by Tony