The Midhill W.M.C Affiliated .

cuttsie

40 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Nah den Cuttsie, wots an Heeley lad doing supporting Owls wen BDTBL was only a stones throw away ?

Tha must av herd roar at crowd wen tha were a kid and thought I want a bit of that !

One of our family rules was , you support who you want , we had both United and Wednesday in our house .

I took to the Owls when they signed Jackie Sewell an  England player who was in all the papers .

My first match with Sewell playing at Owlerton was a sell out , I  remember being lifted down to the front of the Kop over the heads of others .

When we came out the whole of Penistone Rd was crammed  with fans walking to Town as the trams could not budge .

We walked to Pond Street and got the 105 bus that went to the top of Arbourthorne Road , then a further walk to Gleadless .

The two lads I  went with were named Martin Harpem and Kieth Marlowe who lived near me .

Memories eh!!!!/.

PS I also attended Bramall Lane when Jimmy Hagen played , the best player apart from Waddell I have ever seen in Sheffield . Although the best ever I have seen live is George Best .

Edited by cuttsie

A  very funny situation arose oneSaturday evening in the club .

The Bingo had finished , the turn was about to be announced . we sat back then !!!!!!!!!!!! Jack the bin man come concert chairman clicked on his mike , A few taps to test the sound then!!!!!! the anouncement. 

"Will the person who has ****  on the seat in the mens toilet please go and wipe it off "  Well you could have heard a feather drop. before uproar erupted . laughter, cat calls ,name calling . accusations as to who was the last to be seen coming out of those offending bogs that stood in a prominent position at the rear of the concert room .

Still no one moved ,no one stood up . Jack ca me back on the mike , "If the dirty sod dun't go and clean up there will be no turn coming on "

That was it,      the fantom turd man  was never discovered , the debate went on for months ,A  few suspected names were bandid around but to this day the mystery remains .,

Edited by cuttsie

4 hours ago, cuttsie said:

One of our family rules was , you support who you want , we had both United and Wednesday in our house .

I took to the Owls when they signed Jackie Sewell an  England player who was in all the papers .

My first match with Sewell playing at Owlerton was a sell out , I  remember being lifted down to the front of the Kop over the heads of others .

When we came out the whole of Penistone Rd was crammed  with fans walking to Town as the trams could not budge .

We walked to Pond Street and got the 105 bus that went to the top of Arbourthorne Road , then a further walk to Gleadless .

The two lads I  went with were named Martin Harpem and Kieth Marlowe who lived near me .

Memories eh!!!!/.

PS I also attended Bramall Lane when Jimmy Hagen played , the best player apart from Waddell I have ever seen in Sheffield . Although the best ever I have seen live is George Best .

You must have missed England's answer to Gunter Netzer then,  namely, Tony Currie down at Bramall Lane, eh Cuttsie?

Agree about Georgie boy. He was a natural entertainer just like TC.

echo.

10 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Memories eh!!!!/.

Good evening Cuttsie

Too true about divided support in the same house, although my Dad and brother and now my 2 sons are all Unitedites.

That match no doubt left a big impression on you as well as the support on that day.

I first went to Bramall Lane in 1954, so I had the pleasure of seeing Jimmy Hagan play on many occasions.

Its funny int it , we all shared the same standing area be it at the Lane or Hillsbro , no big problems arose just a bit of **** taking , then came cages , segregated sections , and now on line nastiness and obscene language . 

The football back in Hagens and Jackie Sewells time was so much better , you knew how teams were set up with five forwards , three half backs , two defenders and a goalie , Now its like a war , stop the other side scoring at all costs , ten men behind the ball and so on .

If all the players were on the same wage depending on what division they were in it would be so much a level playing field , now the top teams just buy the titles .

The Midhill used to keep the full barrels of beer in the back yard in the late fifty's , , taking them down into the cellar a day or so before needed.

The football team came back from a away match one early Saturday and the club was not open , 

Dick Marsden , Tony Mulcrombe and our Tom decided that it would be a good idea to  sample a barrell so they rolled it around the front , After some messing around ,  the barrel decided to start rolling down East bank and ended up down the bottom in the dip.

The three of em then got the wind up as one or two regulars had spotted them messing around so they then rolled the barrel back up East bank and re stacked it  on the back yard .

Sunday night came and the beer was off , people were taking it back holding it up to the light and showing the steward that it was like dish water . 

Just a little memory that is stuck in the corner of my mind , but it was really funny episode when I think about it .

50 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Its funny int it , we all shared the same standing area be it at the Lane or Hillsbro , no big problems arose just a bit of **** taking , then came cages , segregated sections , and now on line nastiness and obscene language . 

The football back in Hagens and Jackie Sewells time was so much better , you knew how teams were set up with five forwards , three half backs , two defenders and a goalie , Now its like a war , stop the other side scoring at all costs , ten men behind the ball and so on .

If all the players were on the same wage depending on what division they were in it would be so much a level playing field , now the top teams just buy the titles .

Was that home game against Sunderland 3-0 Froggatt, Ricket and Woodhead scorers?.

48,467 there.

Sewel's first game was at Liverpool he scored in a  2-1 defeat.

Wednesday were relegated that season.

9 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Was that home game against Sunderland 3-0 Froggatt, Ricket and Woodhead scorers?.

48,467 there.

If I remember right we were relegated??? but jumped straight back as champions , but its a long time ago I was 9 years old . It was the yo yo years , if it happened now the Owls would be multi millionaires with the unfair parachute money's that make it hard for other teams in the championship who are on restricted spending to compete .

Any way the Midhill played Gleadless Congregation next week  there was me ,our gyp, and our Margret there . It was a 4 -4 draw . our Tom scored . the game was  behind the chapel now a conservative club bottom of Gleadless Common , Hollinsend Road .

I remember it because the fair was on Dobson's field and we called on the way home .

Magic days .

Just thought my brother Alan was in Goal for the Congregation so I had one relation on each side .

9 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Edited by cuttsie

On 30/09/2021 at 18:39, Alextopman said:

48,467 there.

Wednesday were relegated that season.

Anybody remember a couple of the old Owl supporter's songs?

One, sung to the tune of  "put another nickle in....".  Finished with "We'll be there in '53, with Froggat, Swift and Woodhead".

The other about Derek Dooley, sung to the tune of "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer". Started off, "Derek the red haired forward" and finished with, " Then one foggy winter's day, Taylor came to say, Derek, with your hair aflame. you can play in the Barnsley game. Then how t' supporters loved him, and they shouted out with glee. Derek, the red haired forward, you'll go down in his-tor-ee".

And he did.

Edited by trastrick