Student's Appreciation Of Sheffield

tzijlstra

On my first day working at St Andrews Uni today,  I met a student with a Uni of Sheffield hoodie. He was Scottish and had done his undergrad at Sheffield and was now doing his Masters at St Andrews. I know there is some anti-student sentiment, but this lad couldn't be more grateful for his three years in what he called a Great City. Particular highlight for him, as it was for me: How friendly Sheffielders are. Thumbs up you grumpy lot ;)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 27/04/2022 at 09:03, Tipstaff said:

Sheffield would almost be like a ghost town without the student population from both universities.

imho it's becoming a ghost town -partly- BECAUSE of the students...

The amount of students around, and number of student accommodation around the city is crazy, and has pretty much taken over imho

Edited by Ghozer

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

imho it's becoming a ghost town -partly- BECAUSE of the students...

The amount of students around, and number of student accommodation around the city is crazy, and has pretty much taken over imho

Well, without them local businesses, food outlets, taxis and the like would go to the wall. Thousands of people would be without jobs and the charities that students support so well would be poorer and struggling.  So, I look at the positive side and say welcome all of the student population! 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stannington Lad said:

Never seen Crookes being a ghost town when students have gone home for the summer 

That’s great news and testament to the hard working local businesses and the loyalty of it’s local population.

Students living in the area will obviously add to this, but they’d be mainly studying 9-5 and not shopping in the area.
We all know what they get up to at night. 🙄😁

• 2 weeks later...

The few people I know, who live at Crookes, most of them don't like the students all over....

4 cars to a 'student house' taking up parking spaces for residents (and the council are adding more 1-day and double yellows in the area soon) extra noise, more crowded area...

I don't live there myself, but the occasions I visit I can kinda see their points!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/05/2022 at 15:03, Ghozer said:

The few people I know, who live at Crookes, most of them don't like the students all over....

4 cars to a 'student house' taking up parking spaces for residents (and the council are adding more 1-day and double yellows in the area soon) extra noise, more crowded area...

I don't live there myself, but the occasions I visit I can kinda see their points!

4 cars to a house seems a bit out of scope to be honest. When I was at university hardly anyone had a car and those that did tended to be from Sheffield.

When I was studying at Uos I didn't know anyone who had a car! haha. 

Anyway, regarding the international students (overwhelmingly Chinese at the moment), I recently moved back to Sheffield/The UK and noticed the increase and I know that the COVID lockdowns in Shanghai, Beijing etc. have ended meaning that many young Chinese people are heading west. It's also been predicted that Chinese student numbers will peak in around five years and then start to fall. So, we've got five years to figure out what to do when the student numbers start to drop.

As someone used to Asian cuisine in general I do think it's nice to have all these restaurants, cafes etc. but the sudden explosion in the number of bland, homogenous student flats in the city centre is rather depressing. I know some developments have been designed specifically to be converted back into 'regular' flats, but not all of them have. 

Overall, I think there needs to be 1) more affordable flats for non-students to help individuals/families etc. wanted to be close to/work in the city centre and 2) rather than just build student flats and inevitably let them leave when they've finished studying, we need more and better jobs in the city to get graduates to stay and contribute to the economy long term. 

• Like 1