Where Would We Be Without Soldiers.

I am pleased that this thread has created an interesting discussion. It was a bit tongue in cheek - of course I don't want a military dictatorship. 

The point I was making is that this - and recent - governments are focussed on media sound bites, opinion polls, and the electoral cycle. They make vacuous proposals for the future such as stopping all internal combustion engine manufacture in 10 years or so, and something called Net Zero in 20. Meanwhile the "just in time" economy roars ahead, no one stocks anything, creating a complex and burgeoning supply chain. A combination of Covid, Brexit, and world energy prices inevitably creates havoc, hence bring in the military as a (yet another) short-term fix. 

There will be more..........

For the last twenty years or so forecasters have been flagging up our vulnerabilities, but they have been ignored as awkard sids. Let's hope we don't have a very cold winter...

10 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Interesting thread so far.  Within the first 2 pages of it we've got a suggested military coup, an idea of de-mobbing the military to solve civilan problems and leaving us open to any other country with expansion plans (or invasions) and suggestions that using military HGV drivers would solve the petrol crisis (oops - we're not meant to use that word are we?).

I'll hastily pass over the first 2, but even my poor maths skills suggest that the very few military personnel in the UK with HGV licences could hardly somehow solve the ...  current situation.....  for the whole country.  A decent PR stunt at best.

There will be quite a few with HGV licences, not many that can do tankers.