History Of Sheffield Football Support

Runningman

I am being serious with this topic, so no stupid comments please.

Wednesday founded in 1867  ( am I right ) United in 1889

That's a 22 year difference, a time period in which Wednesday gathered many supporters

Has that support percolated down through the years and a reason for Wednesday drawing the huge crowds they once did

Has the increased cost of watching football prevented Sheffield football supporters from watching both teams

I'm a life long Blade, but in years gone by, I went to Hillsborough regular

I watched both teams in the 60s. I even had a juvenile season ticket for the lane for a couple of years. Sixteen shillings for 21 top flight games. Wednesday didn’t do them or I’d have had one there.

These days cost is a big factor but for me it’s more the buggeration of buying tickets in advance. 

49 minutes ago, Runningman said:

I am being serious with this topic, so no stupid comments please.

Wednesday founded in 1867  ( am I right ) United in 1889

That's a 22 year difference, a time period in which Wednesday gathered many supporters

Has that support percolated down through the years and a reason for Wednesday drawing the huge crowds they once did

Has the increased cost of watching football prevented Sheffield football supporters from watching both teams

I'm a life long Blade, but in years gone by, I went to Hillsborough regular

First went to Hillsborough in the mid 60’s & watched the reserves when the first team played away ….never understood why a Wednesdayite would go and watch United ….& to be honest if United were playing in my garden I’d draw the curtains ..can’t watch when they’re on TV ..

Cost never came into it …I’m a Wednesdayite so watching any other side never crossed my mind…

One team is in the very centre of Town so with all the surrounding flats ,students , estates you would think that they would always get the biggest crowds , but its not worked that way , When the Owls are flying high they always pull in more supporters , its strange being way out of town but a indisputable fact over the years .

18 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

First went to Hillsborough in the mid 60’s & watched the reserves when the first team played away ….never understood why a Wednesdayite would go and watch United ….& to be honest if United were playing in my garden I’d draw the curtains ..can’t watch when they’re on TV ..

Cost never came into it …I’m a Wednesdayite so watching any other side never crossed my mind…

Lol, it was more a case of watching the opposition. If they played in blue, my blue and white scarf was round my neck.

Been going to the Lane since the 60's and seen the highs and lows regarding crowds.

It's mainly down to what level of football they are playing in.

United are the only team to average over 30,000 in a season since before Man landed on the Moon another indisputable fact.

Prices have made a big difference especially for families.

Edited by Alextopman

10 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Been going to the Lane since the 60's and seen the highs and lows regarding crowds.

It's mainly down to what level of football they are playing in.

United are the only team to average over 30,000 in a season since before Man landed on the Moon another indisputable fact.

Prices have made a big difference especially for families.

Can't knock United's support over recent seasons.....and the fact Wednesday are still pulling crowds over 20,000 for 3rd Division football makes you wonder what it'd be like if both clubs were winning things on a consistent basis.

10 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Lol, it was more a case of watching the opposition. If they played in blue, my blue and white scarf was round my neck.

It would just feel wrong for me setting foot into Bramall Lane..if it wasnt Wednesday as the opposition...!

think man utd would argue about the 30,000 per match,and liverpool and man city,but its no longer a working mans game price wise these days,the days of footballers going on the same bus are well gone.swimming pools ,big cars,big houses,millionaires by 20 thats the new game for many

25 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Can't knock United's support over recent seasons.....and the fact Wednesday are still pulling crowds over 20,000 for 3rd Division football makes you wonder what it'd be like if both clubs were winning things on a consistent basis.

Spot on, although I didn't enjoy seeing so many strangers pop out of the woodwork for the away games in the premier, those who have vanished again this season.

12 of use went to Bournemouth the premier season we were allowed to attend and only 8 had a ticket.

The same 12 are going Tomorrow and everyone has a ticket.